• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

19 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

@HungryChris, how did you cook your sugar snaps?  On the grill?  Or roasted or broiled?   They look really good. 

19 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Just a splash of olive oil, salt & pepper in a non stick fry pan on medium high flame, stirring constantly. It took about 3 minutes.

HC

I do it as a "covered-partial-steamed-stir-fry" thing. REALLY hot pan/wok (NOT non-stick) w/ really hot oil (at smoking point) (I never use olive oil for this - I use something less "greasy", rice bran/peanut/corn/etc) some salt sprinkled in, then dampened (washed) snow peas or sugar snap peas or even just green beans bunged in and the wok/pan covered IMMEDIATELY. (I usually put the damp peas/beans in the bowl of the lid, invert into the pan/wok, and immediately slam on the lid) Wait 10-20 secs or so (explosions and vigorous popping will be heard; if you have never done this before you will be greatly alarmed), holding down the lid if needed, then shake and semi-toss the pan/wok w/ contents with the lid on and holding it down with one hand while shaking the pan with the other. Wait 20-30 secs more, open the lid, stir around w/ a spatula, splash in a little water if needed. cover briefly again if warranted. Serve. The stuff is usually nicely semi-charred like in HC's pic and with some wok-hei imbued as well. Crunch, crunch.

huiray

huiray

@HungryChris, how did you cook your sugar snaps?  On the grill?  Or roasted or broiled?   They look really good. 

Just a splash of olive oil, salt & pepper in a non stick fry pan on medium high flame, stirring constantly. It took about 3 minutes.

HC

I do it as a "covered-stir-fry" thing. REALLY hot pan/wok (NOT non-stick) w/ really hot oil (at smoking point) (I never use olive oil for this - I use something less "greasy", rice bran/peanut/corn/etc) some salt sprinkled in, then dampened (washed) snow peas or sugar snap peas or even just green beans bunged in and the wok/pan covered IMMEDIATELY. (I usually put the damp peas/beans in the bowl of the lid, invert into the pan/wok, and immediately slam on the lid) Wait 10-20 secs or so (explosions and vigorous popping will be heard; if you have never done this before you will be greatly alarmed), holding down the lid if needed, then shake and semi-toss the pan/wok w/ contents with the lid on. Wait 20-30 secs more, open the lid, stir around w/ a spatula, splash in a little water if needed. cover briefly again if warranted. Serve. The stuff is usually nicely semi-charred like in HC's pic and with some wok-hei imbued as well.

huiray

huiray

HC

I do it as a "covered-stir-fry" thing. REALLY hot pan/wok w/ really hot oil (at smoking point) (I never use olive oil for this - I use something less "greasy", rice bran/peanut/corn/etc) some salt sprinkled in, then dampened (washed) snow peas or sugar snap peas or even just green beans bunged in and the wok/pan covered IMMEDIATELY. (I usually put the damp peas/beans in the bowl of the lid, invert into the pan/wok, and immediately slam on the lid) Wait 10-20 secs or so (explosions and vigorous popping will be heard; if you have never done this before you will be greatly alarmed), holding down the lid if needed, then shake and semi-toss the pan/wok w/ contents with the lid on. Wait 20-30 secs more, open the lid, stir around w/ a spatula, splash in a little water if needed. cover briefly again if warranted. Serve. The stuff is usually nicely semi-charred like in HC's pic and with some wok-hei imbued as well.