• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ambra

ambra

31 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

It brings a chuckle when I read you live in Milan and there's no good pita or bread substitute. 😸

😂😂 In reality, I guess that's not totally fair. There is a delicious (albeit very greasy) Greek on the Navigli that I go to that looks nothing like the Greek food I'm used to but admittedly it has decent pita! But it's all the way across town, like 45 minutes away. And not even sure they would sell it to me.  I have a bakery nearby that sells "pane arabo," which are puffy rolls. Look like the above pucce. I don't usually like them because they are doughy and raw tasting. 

Perhaps for something similar, there are also a few Lebanese restaurants, but the last one I went to had wrap-style breads. 

Someone told me to try one of the Arab butchers but alas, there isn't one of those near me either. 

Milan has a lot of international offerings in comparison to other Italian cities. We have some good Chinese (though nothing like American Chinese). And the Milanese are obsessed with sushi. Ramen is getting better here too.  But the things I really love aren't done well. For example, no Jewish rye (my favorite bread), or Jewish deli for that matter, no good gyros, no good Korean (a fave around here), no good Mexican (though getting better) and no good Vietnamese. My son adores Pho (my next cooking project will be to tackle making it at home!) We've found "OK" Pho, but nothing like the kind I am used to. It's OK, sometimes these places will still satisfy if you have a craving and we have other incredibly delicious things to eat. :)

ambra

ambra

31 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

It brings a chuckle when I read you live in Milan and there's no good pita or bread substitute. 😸

😂😂 In reality, I guess that's not totally fair. There is a delicious (albeit very greasy) Greek on the Navigli that I go to that looks nothing like the Greek food I'm used to but admittedly it has decent pita! But it's all the way across town, like 45 minutes away. And not even sure they would sell it to me.  I have a bakery nearby that sells "pane arabo," which are puffy rolls. Look like the above pucce. I don't usually like them because they are doughy and raw tasting. 

There are also a few Lebanese restaurants, but the last one I went to had wrap-style breads. 

Someone told me to try one of the Arab butchers but alas, there isn't one of those near me either. 

Milan has a lot of international offerings in comparison to other Italian cities. We have some good Chinese (though nothing like American Chinese). And the Milanese are obsessed with sushi. Ramen is getting better here too.  But the things I really love aren't done well. For example, no Jewish rye (my favorite bread), or Jewish deli for that matter, no good gyros, no good Korean (a fave around here), no good Mexican (though getting better) and no good Vietnamese. My son adores Pho (my next cooking project will be to tackle making it at home!) We've found "OK" Pho, but nothing like the kind I am used to. It's OK, sometimes these places will still satisfy if you have a craving and we have other incredibly delicious things to eat. :)

ambra

ambra

2 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

There are also a few Lebanese restaurants, but that last one had wrap style breads.