• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

I eat tahini sauce every day, it is a staple in Israeli cuisine. The most important factor is the tahini you use. It's important to note that it's not necessary the same tahini you prefer too eat raw. I always keep 2 brands, one for suace and one for eating raw and using in sweets. I also keep a whole meal tahini, which is good for eating raw or sweet, but not in lemony sauce. 

Another factor is sufficient amount of water, dilution is important to realese the nuances of tahini and reduce the earthy-toasted notes to a pleasant level. Start with a ratio of one to one by volume. It should be very liquid and flow freely. If you want it thicker, refrigerate it for a few hours. 

Do not add too much garlic. No more then one clove to one cup of prepared sauce. A good tahini suace doesn't have to contain garlic at all, but it does improve it. 

Lemon should be added to taste, it's quite easy to get the amount right if you know what you like. 

Always mix the raw tahini in it's jar very well before using, otherwise you will get too much solids or too much fat. 

shain

shain

I eat tahini sauce every day, it is a staple in Israeli cuisine. The most important factor is the tahini you use. It's important to note that it's not necessary the same tahini you prefer too eat raw. I always keep 2 brands, one for suace and one for eating raw and using in sweets. I also keep a whole meal tahini, which is good for eating raw or sweet, but not in lemony sauce. 

Another factor is sufficient amount of water, dilution is important to realese the nuances of tahini and reduce the earthy-toasted notes too a pleasant level. Start with a ratio of one to one by volume. It should be very liquid and flow freely. If you want it thicker, refrigerate it for a few hours. 

Do not add too much garlic. No more then one clove to one cup of prepared sauce. A good tahini suace doesn't have to contain garlic at all, but it does improve it. 

Lemon should be added to taste, it's quite easy to get the amount right if you know what you like. 

Always mix the raw tahini in it's jar very well before using, otherwise you will get too much solids or too much fat.