• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

Somehow this discussion got away from me. I had no idea you'd gone this far with the testing. I really like the idea of less sugar and cooking while still getting good aw readings. I also like the idea of not having to puree with booze because I have a couple of people I give chocolates to for whom alcohol is a definite no. Both recovering alcoholics (my sister-in-law being one of them, she's been off the booze for over 20 years but still takes no chances and I would never do anything that goes against that for her). Does Pomona have a recipe resource somewhere or do they just come with the pectin? I tried google and didn't come up with much. I have lots of low-methoxyl pectin on hand, I'm just wondering if it will work the same in their recipes as long as I also provide my own calcium source. I guess I could buy the Pomona to get the recipes and then try some tests using the LM pectin I already have.

Edit: found the recipe for "jellied fruit candies, low sugar" (Is that the one you started experimenting with?) and it contained a link to the sheet that comes with the pectin.

Edit 2: so I took the recipe and the instruction sheet from their site and I'm going to add what you worked out to make things better and more suitable as a notation. Thank you for your efforts and for sharing the results with us.

Edit 3: two quick questions, the instruction sheet says to use 3/4 - 2 cups sugar per 4 cups fruit or juice. I'm assuming for this use, you're going with the high end? Also, is the 10% sorbitol replacing 10% of the total (doubled) amount of sugar you're using and is it in fact replacing 10% or in addition to the total sugar?

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

Somehow this discussion got away from me. I had no idea you'd gone this far with the testing. I really like the idea of less sugar and cooking while still getting good aw readings. I also like the idea of not having to puree with booze because I have a couple of people I give chocolates to for whom alcohol is a definite no. Both recovering alcoholics (my sister-in-law being one of them, she's been off the booze for over 20 years but still takes no chances and I would never do anything that goes against that for her). Does Pomona have a recipe resource somewhere or do they just come with the pectin? I tried google and didn't come up with much. I have lots of low-methoxyl pectin on hand, I'm just wondering if it will work the same in their recipes as long as I also provide my own calcium source. I guess I could buy the Pomona to get the recipes and then try some tests using the LM pectin I already have.

Edit: found the recipe for "jellied fruit candies, low sugar" (Is that the one you started experimenting with?) and it contained a link to the sheet that comes with the pectin.

Edit 2: so I took the recipe and the instruction sheet from their site and I'm going to add what you worked out to make things better and more suitable as a notation. Thank you for your efforts and for sharing the results with us.

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook