• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I know you asked about sugar substitutes but before you go that route have you thought about simply reducing the amount of sugar in the recipes you are using?  Very many baked goods can be made with from a quarter to a half less sugar than called for. I know when @Kerry Beal and I are up in Manitoulin where she bakes most days she rarely uses the full amount of sugar in the original recipe. 

Me too.  Before the advent of the substitutes, I used less sugar - often using brown sugar instead of white because it imparts a deeper flavor that seems to taste sweeter in some baked goods.

A great many quick breads are far too sweet for my taste anyway.

andiesenji

andiesenji

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I know you asked about sugar substitutes but before you go that route have you thought about simply reducing the amount of sugar in the recipes you are using?  Very many baked goods can be made with from a quarter to a half less sugar than called for. I know when @Kerry Beal and I are up in Manitoulin where she bakes most days she rarely uses the full amount of sugar in the original recipe. 

Me too.  Before the advent of the substitutes, I used less sugar - often using brown sugar instead of white because it imparts a deeper flavor that seems to taste sweeter in some baked goods.