• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

Manufacturers will give a hydration temperature for their gums that may differ from the generic temperatures you'll read elsewhere. Gum molecules are heterogenous; from any source there will be different versions of the molecules that will hydrate at different temperatures. The gum companies make their formulas by carefully selecting the source and refining for a particular range of molecules for each product. 

But the hydration temperature they give is still most likely a recommendation. The locust bean gum I use is supposed to hydrate at 80°C. When I asked the manufacturer what would happen if I only cook it to 75°C°, the rep said that probably 90% of it would hydrate. Which is easy (and maybe even unnecessary) to compensate for. But probably at 50°C it would be completely inneffective.

paulraphael

paulraphael

Manufacturers will give a hydration temperature for their gums that may differ from the generic temperatures you'll read elsewhere. Gum molecules are heterogenous; from any source there will be different versions of the molecules that will hydrate at different temperatures. The gum companies make their formulas by carefully selecting the source and refining for particular range of molecules for each product. 

But the hydration temperature they give is still most likely a recommendation. The locust bean gum I use is supposed to hydrate at 80°C. When I asked the manufacturer what would happen if I only cook it to 75°C°, the rep said that probably 90% of it would hydrate. Which is easy (and maybe even unnecessary) to compensate for. But probably at 50°C it would be completely inneffective.