• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

Thanks for the considered response and especially that ratio.  I think the ATK recipe used a partial can of the SCM, which is pretty awkward.

Incidentally (not for your purposes, but for anyone intrigued by the SCM/No-machine method), I was at Walmart today and noticed a clearance cart - Everything under $2!.  It had cans of Eagle brand chocolate-flavored SCM for $1.98.  Had never seen that before. I bought three, but don't have any results yet as I've been doing other things.  I hope they're going to eliminate an entire ingredient for my chocolate ice cream.  Then again they were on clearance, so we'll see....

So, anyway, I thought that I'd be whipping up some cream soon, so why not steal a little bit for an experiment?  I looked at my wife's sweeteners and came up with Sweet 'N Low, and two stevia based sweeteners (Stevia in the Raw and Equal Stevia Extract).  I asked her if she wasn't using any of them and she said she wasn't using any of them.  Ok, so I looked back and I believe you said that Stevia would be acceptable, if not for brand differences/variances related to taste/aftertaste issues.  Well, I'll never be able to anticipate your personal taste and I anticipate any level of success would not be as good as the sugar for me.  But it's about the texture, right?

Alright, so gosh, I wonder if anyone has made SCM using Stevia.  I found this recipe...

https://myreecipes.wordpress.com/2010/03/27/stevia-sweetened-condensed-milk/

Not only does she claim that it was a success, but the ice cream she made with it was 'amazing'  Hmm.  I'll just need some powdered milk.  I think I have some powdered buttermilk somewhere.  That ought to do....

Edit for a note about the temperature issue - I put my mixture in a 32oz deli container which fits nicely in the door of the freezer.  So that's where it stays and it's probably decidedly warmer than if I put it in the back of the freezer.

IndyRob

IndyRob

Thanks for the considered response and especially that ratio.  I think the ATK recipe used a partial can of the SCM, which is pretty awkward.

Incidentally (not for your purposes, but for anyone intrigued by the SCM/No-machine method), I was at Walmart today and noticed a clearance cart - Everything under $2!.  It had cans of Eagle brand chocolate-flavored SCM for $1.98.  Had never seen that before. I bought three, but don't have any results yet as I've been doing other things.  I hope they're going to eliminate an entire ingredient for my chocolate ice cream.  Then again they were on clearance, so we'll see....

So, anyway, I thought that I'd be whipping up some cream soon, so why not steal a little bit for an experiment?  I looked at my wife's sweeteners and came up with Sweet 'N Low, and two stevia based sweeteners (Stevia in the Raw and Equal Stevia Extract).  I asked her if she wasn't using any of them and she said she wasn't using any of them.  Ok, so I looked back and I believe you said that Stevia would be acceptable, if not for brand differences/variances related to taste/aftertaste issues.  Well, I'll never be able to anticipate your personal taste and I anticipate any level of success would not be as good as the sugar for me.  But it's about the texture, right?

Alright, so gosh, I wonder if anyone has made SCM using Stevia.  I found this recipe...

https://myreecipes.wordpress.com/2010/03/27/stevia-sweetened-condensed-milk/

Not only does she claim that it was a success, but the ice cream she made with it was 'amazing'  Hmm.  I'll just need some powdered milk.  I think I have some powdered buttermilk somewhere.  That ought to do....