• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Health Checks from the Bergen Record

Rosie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rosie, The explanations at the end of each health check say that a conditional rating is a "first violation of the state Sanitary Code." This doesn't mean much to me.

Do you, or anyone else, know what constitutes a first violation of the state Sanitary Code? I mean, is it just mayo left out a bit too long, or is it a rat infestation (gulp...)? Can these "first violations" range from one extreme to another?

thanks.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Each town has their own health inspectors. This is the info I found:

1. Satisfactory Rating (white placard with black border) - The issuance of a Satisfactory posting reflects overall compliance with sanitary regulations and the existence of only minor violations needing to be addressed by the next annual inspection.

2. Conditionally Satisfactory Rating (yellow placard)- A Conditionally Satisfactory posting is given when an establishment contains violations of a nature not deemed to be an immediate threat to health. The establishment is given a maximum period of thirty days to address the violations and is subject to a re-inspection to determine if compliance has been met.

3. Unsatisfactory Rating (red placard)- The issuance of a Unsatisfactory rating denotes violations deemed to be and immediate threat to public health. The establishment is requested to voluntarily close to immediately address the violations. If the establishment refuses to comply, immediate court action is initiated to close the establishment until all violations have been corrected.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE