• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

Dinner last night was Ma Po tofu, served with rice and stir fried veggies.

I clearly need to work on my chilli oil technique. I used 10 dried and 5 fresh birds eye chillies, and while it was damn hot, it doesn't have the distinctive red colour.

The red colour in most Mapo Doufu comes from Sichuanese chilli bean paste (豆瓣酱 dòu bàn jiàng) rather than from chillies. .

Douban_jiang.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

I clearly need to work on my chilli oil technique. I used 10 dried and 5 fresh birds eye chillies, and while it was damn hot, it doesn't have the distinctive red colour.

The red colour in most Mapo Doufu comes from Sichuanese chilli bean paste (豆瓣酱 dòu bàn jiàng) rather than from chillies. .

Douban_jiang.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

56 minutes ago, sartoric said:

image.jpeg

Douban_jiang.jpg