• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DocDougherty

DocDougherty

Should have been a reply instead of a separate post

In reply to

DIY crispy pizza crust

Started by AlaMoi:

After many years of making unsatisfactory pizza crust, I too finally went to the trouble and expense of getting some 00 flour. After a 24 hr rest in the refrigerator and a 2 hr warm-up period I could easily  stretch and throw (in 2 tosses) a 12" thin skin from 200g of dough and have a nice puffy rim. It was like magic!  I had never before experienced the elasticity of this dough. It didn't require a rest between stretches and it didn't tear.  With such a thin crust, there is really not that much flour in it - so 00 is not really that expensive. But it made a huge difference for me. The pizza in the accompanying photo was baked slightly less than 3 minutes on a 3/8" aluminum plate preheated in a 575°F combi oven at high fan speed for 20 min to a surface temperature of 550°F. The crust is a couple of mm thick.

IMG_3484.thumb.jpg.8a487877e3cbdbf6029bc

DocDougherty

DocDougherty

After many years of making unsatisfactory pizza crust, I too finally went to the trouble and expense of getting some 00 flour. My experience was quite similar in that after a 24 hr rest in the refrigerator and a 2 hr warm-up period I could easily  stretch and throw (in 2 tosses) a 12" thin skin from 200g of dough and have a nice puffy rim. It was like magic!  I had never before experienced the elasticity of this dough. It didn't require a rest between stretches and it didn't tear.  With such a thin crust, there is really not that much flour in it - so 00 is not really that expensive. But it made a huge difference for me. The pizza in the accompanying photo was baked slightly less than 3 minutes on a 3/8" aluminum plate preheated in a 575°F combi oven at high fan speed for 20 min to a surface temperature of 550°F. The crust is a couple of mm thick.

IMG_3484.thumb.jpg.8a487877e3cbdbf6029bc