• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

40 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

I make potato frittata all the time. I use a cast iron skillet, 12" for groups and my 100+ year old 4" pan for single servings. You can do either raw or cooked, however, raw shreds experience a lot of shrinkage. (the frozen type also shrinks an amazingly large amount, like you need half a pound for a 12" skillet) I personally prefer boiled potatoes that are then shredded. You can cook them days ahead of time. Don't forget to season the water, or use stock instead of water. Butter or oil your pan liberally, add the seasoned shreds. (I like to toss with salt, herbs, and finely diced onion before adding.) Let them get a bit crispy before adding the beaten seasoned eggs, lower the temp, cover to capture heat for a few minutes, then finish under the broiler. You can top with a little grated cheese before broiling, and let that brown a little. Sometimes, I like to top with tomato concasse and/or diced green chile before broiling.

My favorite variation on this, however, is to take leftover scalloped potatoes, or potatoes Anna and use them as the base. To get extra browning, I start with beurre noisette. I take the cold leftover block and julienne slices off one end, then flip them on their sides into the pan. (so that what was formerly the heart of the casserole is now on the bottom) Heat through, then keep cooking until the outside is crisp, add the beaten eggs, let them get warm with the lid on for a few minutes then broil. I personally make scalloped potatoes pretty garlicy, this flavors the frittata pretty well. I also tend to use cheese (mozzarella) and cream, so the frittata crust retains some creaminess as the cheese doesn't meld into the egg layer so much, unlike cream or butter alone.

I must immediately make scalloped potatoes so I can make this 9_9. In my husband's family his grand father and his father made frittata for Sunday breakfasts. So, so does he. I have to decide whether I show him this post or pre-empt him next weekend.

ElainaA

ElainaA

37 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

I make potato frittata all the time. I use a cast iron skillet, 12" for groups and my 100+ year old 4" pan for single servings. You can do either raw or cooked, however, raw shreds experience a lot of shrinkage. (the frozen type also shrinks an amazingly large amount, like you need half a pound for a 12" skillet) I personally prefer boiled potatoes that are then shredded. You can cook them days ahead of time. Don't forget to season the water, or use stock instead of water. Butter or oil your pan liberally, add the seasoned shreds. (I like to toss with salt, herbs, and finely diced onion before adding.) Let them get a bit crispy before adding the beaten seasoned eggs, lower the temp, cover to capture heat for a few minutes, then finish under the broiler. You can top with a little grated cheese before broiling, and let that brown a little. Sometimes, I like to top with tomato concasse and/or diced green chile before broiling.

My favorite variation on this, however, is to take leftover scalloped potatoes, or potatoes Anna and use them as the base. To get extra browning, I start with beurre noisette. I take the cold leftover block and julienne slices off one end, then flip them on their sides into the pan. (so that what was formerly the heart of the casserole is now on the bottom) Heat through, then keep cooking until the outside is crisp, add the beaten eggs, let them get warm with the lid on for a few minutes then broil. I personally make scalloped potatoes pretty garlicy, this flavors the frittata pretty well. I also tend to use cheese (mozzarella) and cream, so the frittata crust retains some creaminess as the cheese doesn't meld into the egg layer so much, unlike cream or butter alone.

I must immediately make scalloped potatoes so I can make this 9_9. In my husband's family his grand father and his father made frittata for Sunday breakfasts. So, so does he. I have to decide whether i show him this post of pre-empt him next weekend.