• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

Yesterday, February 14, was Yun Yat (人日), the 7th day of CNY. I celebrated it with Yee Sang (魚生), a.k.a. Lo Hei (撈起)(Cantonese meanings for the characters), the now-traditional dish in the (especially) Malaysian-Chinese & Singaporean-Chinese communities and all other ethnic groups there who join in in the festivities as well. The dish has origins from an old Chaozhou/Teochew dish, brought over by then built on later (reinvented) by the Chinese diaspora.

Before tossing:

DSCN8198a_800.jpg.e2bd5e9f719c354e4c4786

I used sashimi-grade tuna for the raw fish.

After putting everything together and tossing.

DSCN8207c_800.jpg.1d19bd7afa6a1d212db3c6

huiray

huiray

Yesterday, February 14, was Yun Yat (人日), the 7th day of CNY. I celebrated it with Yee Sang (魚生), a.k.a. Lo Hei (撈起)(Cantonese meanings for the characters), the now-traditional dish in the (especially) Malaysian-Chinese & Singaporean-Chinese communities and all other ethnic groups there who join in in the festivities as well. The dish has origins from an old Chaozhou/Teochew dish, brought over by then built on by the Chinese diaspora.

Before tossing:

DSCN8198a_800.jpg.e2bd5e9f719c354e4c4786

I used sashimi-grade tuna for the raw fish.

After putting everything together and tossing.

DSCN8207c_800.jpg.1d19bd7afa6a1d212db3c6