• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to explain cashews

Kind of a curious one.  Squid with cabbage, peach, herbs and peanuts (yeah, you read that right 🙄) from The Magic of Tinned Fish.  I believe I picked up a tin of the La Brújula baby squid in olive oil by mistake when I was stocking up on mussels at the import shop.  Or maybe I was just curious? I dunno but I had no idea what to do with them and I had nice peaches on hand so I gave it a go. 

611C0DAE-8144-412A-A848-8479DE9114B1_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e6a7c6960ebf649a04b9396f9cbc33b7.jpeg

The baby squids are the four plump, corpse-like items  There are two more lurking somewhere in there.. They are plump because they are stuffed with their own tentacles.  Seems kind of a rude thing to do to a baby but it wasn't my idea, I only found out after I took a bite!  

The header notes cite Thai flavors and other ingredients include fish sauce, sugar, a Fresno chile and a serrano, scallions, cilantro, mint and lime juice. I subbed cashews for the called-for peanuts.

The baby squid are quite good.  I enjoyed the contrast of flavors and textures but I think I'd be happy with a half, appetizer sized serving rather than this big plate. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Kind of a curious one.  Squid with cabbage, peach, herbs and peanuts (yeah, you read that right 🙄) from The Magic of Tinned Fish.  I believe I picked up a tin of the La Brújula baby squid in olive oil by mistake when I was stocking up on mussels at the import shop.  Or maybe I was just curious? I dunno but I had no idea what to do with them and I had nice peaches on hand so I gave it a go. 

611C0DAE-8144-412A-A848-8479DE9114B1_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e6a7c6960ebf649a04b9396f9cbc33b7.jpeg

The baby squids are the four plump, corpse-like items  There are two more lurking somewhere in there.. They are plump because they are stuffed with their own tentacles.  Seems kind of a rude thing to do to a baby but it wasn't my idea, I only found out after I took a bite!  

The header notes cite Thai flavors and other ingredients include fish sauce, sugar, a Fresno chile and a serrano, scallions, cilantro, mint and lime juice. 

The baby squid are quite good.  I enjoyed the contrast of flavors and textures but I think I'd be happy with a half, appetizer sized serving rather than this big plate.