• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

punctuation

1 hour ago, lindag said:

My total favorite salad is the old Seven Layer Salad from when?  The seventies?  I don't remember.

But I just love everything about it.  It's so big, tho, that I don't have occasion often enough to make it.

i think I  just might have to make a commitment and make it just for me and commit to having it every day for lunch for several days.

I made it just for me the other day reducing all the ingredients and assembling it in a 5 cup plastic lidded container, planning to eat half the first day and save the second half for the next day. I put a layer of torn iceberg on the bottom, added a layer of about 3 chopped small Campari tomatoes, sprinkled a layer of sliced green onion from the deck supplemented by some fine diced white onion, then a layer of thawed frozen petite peas, a layer of two chopped hard boiled eggs, and I added a layer of about 2-1/2 oz. grated cheddar. I'd store the cheddar separately next time, though and add it when I was ready to mix up the planned overs. It absorbed too much moisture from the veggies. I did store the crisp fried bacon separately, and that was good, because it provides a texture contrast when crumbled in at the last minute before mixing up the salad with the mayo dressing. I used about a TBSP of dressing for each of the two servings of salad and that was plenty for me. Oh, also I only add salt and pepper at the last minute before mixing as well to keep the salt from drawing moisture out of the veggies by osmosis. 

I love this salad too and will be making it more often now that I've figured out how to make a reasonable amount for just me.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

13 minutes ago, lindag said:

My total favorite salad is the old Seven Layer Salad from when?  The seventies?  I don't remember.

But I just love everything about it.  It's so big, tho, that I don't have occasion often enough to make it.

i think I  just might have to make a commitment and make it just for me and commit to having it every day for lunch for several days.

I made it just for me the other day reducing all the ingredients and assembling it in a 5 cup plastic lidded container, planning to eat half the first day and save the second half for the next day. I put a layer of torn iceberg on the bottom, added a layer of about 3 chopped small Campari tomatoes, sprinkled a layer of sliced green onion from the deck supplemented by some fine diced white onion, then a layer of thawed frozen petite peas, a layer of two chopped hard boiled eggs, and I added a layer of about 2-1.2 oz. grated cheddar. I'd store the cheddar separately next time, though and add it when I was ready to mix up the planned overs. It absorbed too much moisture from the veggies. I did store the crisp fried bacon separately, and that was good, because it provides a texture contrast when crumbled in at the last minute before mixing up the salad with the mayo dressing. I used about a TBSP of dressing for each of the two servings of salad and that was plenty for me. Oh, also I only add salt and pepper at the last minute before mixing as well to keep the salt from drawing moisture out of the veggies by osmosis. 

I love this salad too and will be making it more often now that I've figured out how to make a reasonable amount for just me.