• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

Because I grow Indeterminate varieties of tomatoes,  getting support stakes long enough has been an issue. Garden shops charge too much for ones that are simply inadequate  A few years ago, while at Lowes or Home Depot, a solution occurred to me that I have been using ever since. Do it yourself tomato stakes.

IMG_0814.JPG

I buy 1" X 3" X 8 ' furring strips and rip them in half.

IMG_0811.JPG

They are actually 2 3/8" X 3/4" X 8', so I set the saw at 1 3/16" and rip them down the middle.

IMG_0812.JPG

Then take the guide off the saw and put points on them.

IMG_0813.JPG

These work out to about 75 cents each, around here and will last 3 or 4 seasons and probably much longer if painted..

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

Because I grow Indeterminate varieties of tomatoes,  getting support stakes long enough has been an issue. Garden shops charge too much for one that are simply inadequate  A few years ago, while at Lowes or Home Depot, a solution occurred to me that I have been using ever since. Do it yourself tomato stakes.

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

They are actually 2 3/8" X 3/4" X 8', so I set the saw at 1 3/16" and rip them down the middle.

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

These work out to about 75 cents each, around here and will last 3 or 4 seasons and probably much longer if painted..

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

Because I grow Indeterminate varieties of tomatoes,  getting support stakes long enough has been an issue. A few years ago, while at Lowes or Home Depot, a solution occurred to me that I have been using ever since. Do it yourself tomato stakes.

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

These work out to about 75 cents each, around here.

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

Because I grow Indeterminate varieties of tomatoes,  getting support stakes long enough has been an issue. A few years ago, while at Lowes or Home Depot, a solution occurred to me that I have been using ever since. Do it yourself tomato stakes.

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

Garden shops  charge quite a bit for ones that are just inadequate. These work out to about 75 cents each, around here.

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

they are actually 2 3/8" X 3/4" X 8', so I set the saw at 1 3/16" and rip them.

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

Garden shop charge quite a bit for ones that are just inadequate, this work out to about 75 cents each around here.

HC