• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DianaB

DianaB

To correct auto-correct.

10 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Thank you for your kind reply @DianaB. There is just one thing I am unclear on. Are the raised beds to sit the soil/compost filled bags on top of or is a hole dug into the beds to sink the bags into. 

They switched cat litter bags a while ago from paper to that woven plastic, and I think those might work too with some holes punched in the bottom for drainage on the 20 pound size.

Sorry for the delay in answering this, I guess we are in quite different time zones.  Apologies also for my poor explanation earlier.  What I wanted to say was that we can't use the raised beds for potatoes this year.  The bags will sit on concrete. Those we bought from Amazon already have drainage holes but we punched holes into the 'home made' varsity.  We will plant a bag or two every four weeks through to September. As there are only 2 mouths to feed that will see us through until Christmas hopefully.  

I'm no expert on imperial measures and haven't looked up what 20 pounds might be  in kilo's but our commercial bags are around 40cm across and 80cm high. Supermarket bags are wider but shallower.

The bigger bags mentioned above would no doubt be fine if you have space to house them. 

Hope this is clearer!  

DianaB

DianaB

10 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Thank you for your kind reply @DianaB. There is just one thing I am unclear on. Are the raised beds to sit the soil/compost filled bags on top of or is a hole dug into the beds to sink the bags into. 

They switched cat litter bags a while ago from paper to that woven plastic, and I think those might work too with some holes punched in the bottom for drainage on the 20 pound size.

Sorry for the delay in answering this, I guess we are in quite different time zones.  Apologies also for my poor explanation earlier.  What I wanted to say was that we can't use the raised beds for potatoes this year.  The bags will sit on concrete. Those we bought from Amazon already have drainage holes but we punched holes into the 'home made' varsity.  We will plant a bag or two every four weeks through to September. As there are only 2 mouths to feed that will see us through until Christmas hopefully.  

I'm no expert on imperial measures and haven't looked up what 20 pounds might be  in kilo's but our commercial bags are around 40cm across and 80cm high. Supermarket bags are wider but shallower.

The bigger bags mentioned above would no doubt be fine if you have space to house them. 

Hope pe this is clearer!