• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

50 minutes ago, sartoric said:

This is our current basil crop which needs harvesting. 

I've made so much pesto we're a bit over it.

Any suggestions for ways to use it ?image.thumb.jpeg.e110e4b3044ed45ad28a6b4

Simply use it as a vegetable. Yes, really. Stir-fries. Soups, especially soups. Try wilting handfuls of it into a nice stock with, say, fish balls. Or a tangy soup with chicken and bunches of trimmed basil.  Use it as one would fistfuls of Thai basil in similar circumstances except with a slight twist to it.

(In fact, half of what you have in that tub would easily go into ONE pot of soup for just a couple meals, or, if I'm hungry, a single meal. :-) )

ETA2: 10-15 years ago, when I was much more enthusiastic about growing stuff, I would have about 20 feet-worth of beds growing just basil of various sorts - usually around 7 -8 types plus more in tubs on the deck. Standard Italian-type (like yours) and Genovese would be two of the more dominant varieties. I'd let them get to about 3 times the height of what you show, with appropriate feeding. Yes, I ate them all - except the more scented or unusual ones which were only partially consumed.

huiray

huiray

43 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Simply use it as a vegetable. Yes, really. Stir-fries. Soups, especially soups. Try wilting handfuls of it into a nice stock with, say, fish balls. Or a tangy soup with chicken and bunches of trimmed basil.  Use it as one would fistfuls of Thai basil in similar circumstances except with a slight twist to it.

(In fact, half of what you have in that tub would easily go into ONE pot of soup for just a couple meals, or, if I'm hungry, a single meal. :-) )

ETA2: 10-15 years ago, when I was much more enthusiastic about growing stuff, I would have about 20 feet-worth of beds growing just basil of various sorts - usually around 7 -8 types plus more in tubs on the deck. Standard Italian-type (like yours) and Genovese would be two of the more dominant varieties. I'd let them get to about 3 times the height of what you show, with appropriate feeding. Yes, I ate them all.

huiray

huiray

36 minutes ago, sartoric said:

huiray

huiray

34 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Simply use it as a vegetable. Yes, really. Stir-fries. Soups, especially soups. Try wilting handfuls of it into a nice stock with, say, fish balls. Or a tangy soup with chicken and bunches of trimmed basil. se it as one would fistfuls of Thai basil in similar circumstances except with a slight twist to it.

huiray

huiray

31 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Simply use it as a vegetable. Yes, really. Stir-fries. Soups, especially soups. Try wilting handfuls of it into a nice stock with, say, fish balls. Or a yangy soup with chicken and bunches of trimmed basil. se it as one would fistfuls of Thai basil in similar circumstances except with a slight twist to it.

huiray

huiray

26 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Simply use it as a vegetable. Yes, really. Stir-fries. Soups, especially soups. Try wilting handfuls of it into a nice stock with, say, fish balls. Or a yangy soup with chicken and bunches of trimmed basil. se it as one would fistfuls of Thai basil in similar circumstances except with a slight twist to it.