• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

8 hours ago, Alex said:

I just called -- they do indeed go to Downers Grove as well. When you book the ride, make sure to specify which station; Lombard is their default setting, so to speak. When you return, call the hotel from your departure station and tell them the arrival station and time. (FYI, the train from Lombard terminates at Ogilvie Station in Chicago; the one from Downers Grove, at Union Station.)

If you take Metra from Downers Grove to Western Springs, right by the station is Vie. I'd definitely go there Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Taking Metra from Lombard to Ogilvie puts you in the West Loop, with a stunning array of great restaurants within walking distance: Avec, Blackbird, Sepia, Salero, Girl and the Goat, Nia, etc. -- also the Michelin 3-star, $235-tasting-menu Grace and the Michelin 2-star, $190-tasting-menu Oriole.

If you don't want to travel far, Greek Islands is right by the hotel, plus it's open Sunday and Monday nights. It's an outpost of the popular Greektown place.

Thanks for all this R - have to work around Mon, Tuesday closings - but lots of great choices.

Is the Slurping Turtle still around and still good?

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

8 hours ago, Alex said:

I just called -- they do indeed go to Downers Grove as well. When you book the ride, make sure to specify which station; Lombard is their default setting, so to speak. When you return, call the hotel from your departure station and tell them the arrival station and time. (FYI, the train from Lombard terminates at Ogilvie Station in Chicago; the one from Downers Grove, at Union Station.)

If you take Metra from Downers Grove to Western Springs, right by the station is Vie. I'd definitely go there Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Taking Metra from Lombard to Ogilvie puts you in the West Loop, with a stunning array of great restaurants within walking distance: Avec, Blackbird, Sepia, Salero, Girl and the Goat, Nia, etc. -- also the Michelin 3-star, $235-tasting-menu Grace and the Michelin 2-star, $190-tasting-menu Oriole.

If you don't want to travel far, Greek Islands is right by the hotel, plus it's open Sunday and Monday nights. It's an outpost of the popular Greektown place.

Thanks for all this R - have to work around Mon, Tuesday closings - but lots of freat choices.

Is the Slurping Turtle still around and still good?