• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kbjesq

kbjesq

Fix typo

To avoid the raw flour taste,  I bake dry flour in my toaster oven for 30-45 minutes at about 375F before adding it to the butter.  I do this as well for flour that I'm going to add to make a pan sauce. My family likes large quantities of gravy on holidays. So,  for example, for Thanksgiving I will cook a separate Turkey ahead of time in order to make broth.   I toast the flour ahead of time as well. Then on the day of the meal, I mix the broth with the toasted flour, season and simmer until the desired consistency is obtained. 

kbjesq

kbjesq

To avoid the raw flour taste,  I bake dry flour in my toaster oven for 30-45 minutes at about 375F before adding it to the butter.  I do this as well for flour that I'm going to add to make a pan sauce. My family likes large quantities of gravy on holidays. So,  for example, for Thanksgiving I will cook a separate Turkey ahead of time in order to makbrother.  I toast the flour ahead of time as well. Then on the day of the meal, I mix the broth with the toasted flour, season and simmer until the desired consistency is obtained.