• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

According the KA article I linked (or was it the one that keychris linked? sorry .. it was one of those about yeast etc. under BarneyDorfman's Starter Yeast and My Bread Machine thread) supposedly yeast has been 'improved' in recent years so that the power of the contents in the new smaller packages is the same as it was in the older, slightly larger ones. I find that interesting when it also comes at a time that manufacturers are, almost across the board, reducing content amounts in packages of just about everything (while keeping the package size the same) in order to achieve savings on their side while not increasing the package price to the consumer. It is a shill game - but perhaps in this case, they are telling the truth - who knows. Or perhaps, as noted above, the baker IS just slightly increasing rise times without realizing it to achieve the same results as they used to.

Anyway, your rye bread also looks wonderful, Anna. What adjustments did you make for the TMX method? I brought my TMX with me down south this time so I (thanks to you and Norm) may just try my hand at it too. I can almost smell it from here. :)

Deryn

Deryn

According the KA article I linked (or was it the one that keychris linked? sorry .. it was one of those about yeast etc. under BarneyDorfman's Starter Yeast and My Bread Machine thread) supposedly yeast has been 'improved' in recent years so that the power of the contents is the same in the new smaller packages as it was in the older, slightly larger ones. I find that interesting when it also comes at a time that manufacturers are, almost across the board, reducing content amounts in packages of just about everything (while keeping the package size the same) in order to achieve savings on their side while not increasing the package price to the consumer. It is a shill game - but perhaps in this case, they are telling the truth - who knows. Or perhaps, as noted above, the baker IS just slightly increasing rise times without realizing it to achieve the same results as they used to.

Anyway, your rye bread also looks wonderful, Anna. What adjustments did you make for the TMX method? I brought my TMX with me down south this time so I (thanks to you and Norm) may just try my hand at it too. I can almost smell it from here. :)

Deryn

Deryn

According the KA article I linked (or was it the one that keychris linked? sorry .. it was one of those about yeast etc. under BarneyDorfman's Yeast Starter and My Bread Machine thread) supposedly yeast has been 'improved' in recent years so that the power of the contents is the same in the new smaller packages as it was in the older, slightly larger ones. I find that interesting when it also comes at a time that manufacturers are, almost across the board, reducing content amounts in packages of just about everything (while keeping the package size the same) in order to achieve savings on their side while not increasing the package price to the consumer. It is a shill game - but perhaps in this case, they are telling the truth - who knows. Or perhaps, as noted above, the baker IS just slightly increasing rise times without realizing it to achieve the same results as they used to.