• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

added link to image

Here is my Cuisinart steam oven bread from last night, the leftovers of which I'm about to serve tonight:

Bread07052016.png

Nothing to complain of with the crust nor crumb, but I cannot scarify the dough properly after proofing in the steam environment.  The dough surface is extremely hydrated.  It's like scarifying silly putty.  The scarifications close right up.  It's sort of like scarifying overproofed loaves, but I don't believe my dough is all that overproofed.

Has anyone managed well slashed loaves in the CSO using their steam proofing method?

Edit:  link to image:

http://tribade.org/Food/Bread07052016.png

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Here is my Cuisinart steam oven bread from last night, the leftovers of which I'm about to serve tonight:

Bread07052016.png

Nothing to complain of with the crust nor crumb, but I cannot scarify the dough properly after proofing in the steam environment.  The dough surface is extremely hydrated.  It's like scarifying silly putty.  The scarifications close right up.  It's sort of like scarifying overproofed loaves, but I don't believe my dough is all that overproofed.

Has anyone managed well slashed loaves in the CSO using their steam proofing method?