• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I have been wanted to do a pumpernickle bread for a while but didn't want to pay KA prices for pumpernickle flour, plus shipping that would nearly double their high price, and no one carries it around here.  When I did the Swedish Rye bread, I noticed in the Farm Journal cookbook, a pumpernickle recipe that didn't use pumpernickle flour. It looked good. It used whole wheat, and rye flours plus molasses and mashed potatoes.  I made it and found that if I hadn't had a large capacity bowl, it would have been too small and there was a point where the mixer was straining-and it's a pretty strong mixer.  Well it wasn't dark like you'd expect pumpernickle bread to be and I thought it was absolutely bland in taste.  I took pictures but since I didn't like it at all, I won't post them.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I have been wanted to do a pumpernickle bread for a while but didn't want to pay KA prices for pumpernickle flour, plus shipping that would nearly double their high price.  When I did the Swedish Rye bread, I noticed in the Farm Journal cookbook, a pumpernickle recipe that didn't use pumpernickle flour. It looked good. It used whole wheat, and rye flours plus molasses and mashed potatoes.  I made it and found that if I hadn't had a large capacity bowl, it would have been too small and there was a point where the mixer was straining-and it's a pretty strong mixer.  Well it wasn't dark like you'd expect pumpernickle bread to be and I thought it was absolutely bland in taste.  I took pictures but since I didn't like it at all, I won't post them.