• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

12 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I did a repeat this am.  My 4 eggs weighed between 65 and 67 grams.  I measured 2 quarts of water and put the water in a pot where the water came to within an inch of the top.  Brought it to a boil over high heat.  Took the pot off the heat put the 4 eggs in for 6 minutes with the lid on the pot.  The yolks were perfect but again, the whites were slimmy and  most certainly not "White is opaque, firm all the way through".  So we left the other 3 eggs in there for another 2 minutes for a total of 8 minutes.  The whites were better and the yolk was getting firm.  But the whites were not as he describes in his 7 minute egg "White is fully cooked and as hard as that of a hard-boiled egg".  

Hum, so not sure what to think.  As Anna N said above, one's idea of a soft boiled egg can differ and I am very sensitive to whites that are undercooked.  I'd rather my yolk a little over for the sake of a non-slimmy white.

When I make hard boiled eggs I use this method:  Put the eggs in the pan, cover by two inches with water and put the lid on.  Bring to the boil.  Take off the heat and after 10 minutes plunge into ice water.  The hard boiled eggs are perfect with the yolk only just done.

Just for the reference desk, I just weighed 3 "Large Eggs" and they were 61-63 grams (probably not enough to make a difference).  But 2 quarts of water?  6 minutes?

I don't have the book, but I assumed it was something similar to the latest ATK soft boil method I've seen.  This uses only a 1/2 inch of water and relies on steam.  Once a boil is achieved (not sure if a simmer is materially different), the eggs should go in, covered, for 6:30.  Given that steam is supposedly more energetic, It doesn't seem like 6 minutes could be enough for a submerged egg.

IndyRob

IndyRob

12 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I did a repeat this am.  My 4 eggs weighed between 65 and 67 grams.  I measured 2 quarts of water and put the water in a pot where the water came to within an inch of the top.  Brought it to a boil over high heat.  Took the pot off the heat put the 4 eggs in for 6 minutes with the lid on the pot.  The yolks were perfect but again, the whites were slimmy and  most certainly not "White is opaque, firm all the way through".  So we left the other 3 eggs in there for another 2 minutes for a total of 8 minutes.  The whites were better and the yolk was getting firm.  But the whites were not as he describes in his 7 minute egg "White is fully cooked and as hard as that of a hard-boiled egg".  

Hum, so not sure what to think.  As Anna N said above, one's idea of a soft boiled egg can differ and I am very sensitive to whites that are undercooked.  I'd rather my yolk a little over for the sake of a non-slimmy white.

When I make hard boiled eggs I use this method:  Put the eggs in the pan, cover by two inches with water and put the lid on.  Bring to the boil.  Take off the heat and after 10 minutes plunge into ice water.  The hard boiled eggs are perfect with the yolk only just done.

Just for the reference desk, I just weighed 3 "Large Eggs" and they were 61-63 grams (probably not enough to make a difference).  But 2 quarts of water?  6 minutes?

I don't have the book, but I assumed it was something similar to the latest ATK soft boil method I've seen.  This uses only a 1/2 inch of water and relies on steam.  Once a boil is achieved (not sure if a simmer is materially different), the eggs should go in, covered, for 6:30.  Given that steam is supposedly more energetic, It doesn't seem like 6 minutes could be enough.