• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parchment Paper for a Saute ?

rotuts

Potatoes (and vegetables in general) don't really start to cook until they exceed 85C, which is a lot higher than you want to cook most proteins (especially fish). I suspect that the potatoes were sliced thin, blanched in boiling salted water until mostly cooked through but still somewhat firm, and then chilled before being applied to the fish. Or maybe they were even applied while hot/warm to give them a head start. But sticking raw veg/starch to fish and hoping to brown it up without overcooking things is wishful thinking. I know that at Eleven Madison Park they do a zucchini-scaled fish dish that's cooked sous vide; the zucchini is blanched before cooking. Obviously a different technique, but I think a pre-blanch is a good idea.

• Like 1

I was also surprised with the browning, which is why I posted this thread.  but when you think about it, the browning is only temperature dependent

and the parchment paper just add some non-stick to the paper that touches the pan and keeps the potatoes in place as they brown and 'firm-up'

I do not know if the Chef 'buttered' the parchment squares before the 'sandwich' was made.

i went back and took a closer look at the fish just before its taken out of the pan. The Chef checks the fish, potato side down for browning and indeed

the potatoes are brown.  its not clear as there is always editing and panning around the kitchen and banter, but I do not think the top of the

parchment-sandwich which is the plain fish is ever flipped.  but I cannot guarantee this.

so yes you get all the browning you might like.

Im hoping someone decides to try this soon. and will post their results.

I found this technique online Rotus: http://www.cordonbleu.edu/index.cfm?fa=NewsEventFrontMod.PrintNewsPage&ElementID=689&LangID=3  I have not done it but I think I will! Thank you for bringing the HOW TO to my mind , as I've seen it done but wondered how the 'scales' stayed on.

• Like 1

Mmmpomps link did the trick. Precooked the potato and then corn starched the chicken. 7 min on parchment gave decent browning and nicely cooked chicken.  The cornstarch made the potato stick well and it could be cut through without losing the scales.

It was a fiddling business layering the oily floppy scales by hand. Forceps were needed to get a nice look....which this doesn't have.

009.jpg

• Like 3