• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parchment Paper for a Saute ?

rotuts

On Great British Menu S10 North West Fish course

Chef Eve Townson use two small squares of parchment paper on her Cod w 'scaled' thin potato slices

when she sautéed them.

then peeled off the sheets and had a stunning look of cooking.

I have not seen this before but Im betting its not new.

Pan.jpg

Im also keen if you know anything about these pans

Ill keep this technique in mind from now on.

Photo source: Chef Eve Townson, Great British Menu  Season 10 , episode 27 North West Fish (screenshot)

• Like 1

That's interesting, rotuts.

We've all seen or used parchment in the oven with fish for papillotte, but this is the first time I have seen chef Townson's method. It looks like the packets are loosely wrapped instead of carefully sealed to contain steam and juices, which I thought was the purpose of the parchment. Did she elaborate on what the paper was supposed to accomplish in her application? I'd guess they are to keep the potato "scales" in place during cooking and flipping.

Do you know if she used any fat in the pan? It's not obvious from the photo.

Sorry I can't help you with info on the pan.

> ^ . . ^ <

Hi Rotuts.

I think the pan is a Bourgeat cast iron 8.5 inch. I got mine via Amazon for about £25.00. It could be the 10 inch. The giveaway I think is the very flat handle and three rivets. I have a DeBuyer which is almost the same but has the company name stamped on the handle. They are my everyday pans and excellent value. HTH. D

31l04QN2YAL._SX425_.jpg

the two squares were placed on the top and the bottom , not wrapped.

here is the resulting dish :

fishdish.jpg

the parchment seems to have kept the potato scales 'intact'

the fish went in 'scales down '    I can't say if the fish was flipped briefly.

thats a brand new technique for me

the pans , and they have many in the GBM kitchen seem to be coated i.e. non stick

that's what Im wondering about.

I do have a steel DeBuyer

here is another shot of the pan w the fish :

pan 2.jpg

there appears to be a little oil in the pan, not much

which looks like its beading up i.e. non-stick pan.

thank you for your replies.

i hope some one soon tries the parchment sauté and can report back

w pics of course

Photos source: Chef Eve Townson, Great British Menu  Season 10 , episode 27 North West Fish (screenshot)

Edited by Smithy
Added reference at member request (log)
  • Like 2

thanks for the Head Up on the Bourgeat

http://www.matferbourgeatusa.com/nonstick-round-frying-pan-7

Ill have to take a closer look

the chefs who cook on these series are extremely accomplished.

they bring their own knives  but use the equipment in the kitchen

these pans are relatively new to this kitchen, which is a sort of Test Kitchen

fits two chefs comfortably  three in a pinch.

im sure they can use anything they want  which is why Ill give these pan a closer look.

the Bourgeat catalogue   ready for DL' is here :

http://www.matferbourgeatusa.com/catalog-2015/matfer-catalog2015.pdf

I DO NOT recommend  you DL this.

might cause seizures in some ....

fantastic stuff they have.

Edited by rotuts (log)

the pictures come from Great British Menu  Season 10 , episode 27 North West Fish.

the production is BBC and you can see these episodes on the BBC site.

the Chef who created this dish and presented it to the initial judge  ( a Chef ) and the final judges is

Chef Eve Townson

here she is :

http://www.rossendalefreepress.co.uk/news/local-news/ramsbottom-chef-eve-townson-gets-10083505

all credit for the idea and the dish i attribute to her.

Have used parchment/silicone paper in brat pans to seal off large quantities of proteins for catering... i mainly use it when the surface of the pan is a lil worse for wear & there is a risk of the product sticking... very good for things like saltimbocca (prosciutto) & could imagine the virtues of using it for a dish lime this ;)

• Like 1

" I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy" - Tom Waits

The parchment paper technique here is interesting, I like it.

There's a French technique of using parchment paper to cover braises or other dishes to control evaporation.  Although the moisture from a covered pan will condense on the lid and drip down, it does result in evaporation, and the parchment minimizes that as it's right on top of the food.  For braises, it prevents a skin from forming and protects pieces of meat that might be poking above the liquid from drying out.   It's also very handy to know if your pot doesn't have a lid. 

I learned to make a "cartouche", which is a circular piece of parchment with a small central vent. Very easy, just fold a square of parchment into quarters, then fold diagonally from the center into a pie shape--do that a few times until you have a narrow pie shape.  Then trim the end on a slight curve so that it will be circular when unfolded.  As the folded parchment is half the diameter of the pot you're using, I usually hold the parchment over the pot I'm using to better estimate where to trim.  If you want a center vent, cut a small bit off the tip.  The whole business takes 15 seconds--less time than it took me to type this.

I found an old eG topic on this, but it doesn't go into much detail: Parchment and Braising

I use the same principle to keep fish or chicken moist when I saute them but don't want to use a lid, which would steam them. So I often cover them with a square of parchment.

The idea of putting parchment on the bottom is new to me. I'm guessing it protects the fish from browning while it cooks. I'll give it a try sometime, I like the idea.

Where I'm puzzled: I'm not sure how the potato crust would brown unless it's cooked directly on the pan, in fat. Or run under the broiler.  So while I also thought at first that the parchment would keep the potatoes in place, I don't think they would brown if turned without removing the parchment. I'd love to know the technique here.

• Like 1

I was also surprised with the browning, which is why I posted this thread.  but when you think about it, the browning is only temperature dependent

and the parchment paper just add some non-stick to the paper that touches the pan and keeps the potatoes in place as they brown and 'firm-up'

I do not know if the Chef 'buttered' the parchment squares before the 'sandwich' was made.

i went back and took a closer look at the fish just before its taken out of the pan. The Chef checks the fish, potato side down for browning and indeed

the potatoes are brown.  its not clear as there is always editing and panning around the kitchen and banter, but I do not think the top of the

parchment-sandwich which is the plain fish is ever flipped.  but I cannot guarantee this.

so yes you get all the browning you might like.

Im hoping someone decides to try this soon. and will post their results.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I was also surprised with the browning, which is why I posted this thread.  but when you think about it, the browning is only temperature dependent

and the parchment paper just add some non-stick to the paper that touches the pan and keeps the potatoes in place as they brown and 'firm-up'

I do not know if the Chef 'buttered' the parchment squares before the 'sandwich' was made.

i went back and took a closer look at the fish just before its taken out of the pan. The Chef checks the fish, potato side down for browning and indeed

the potatoes are brown.  its not clear as there is always editing and panning around the kitchen and banter, but I do not think the top of the

parchment-sandwich which is the plain fish is ever flipped.  but I cannot guarantee this.

It seems to make logical sense to me. I bake bread on parchment paper and the bottom still browns nicely. This is on top of the pizza stone of course in a hot oven but I can still extrapolate from that to a pan even though it would never occur to me to try it .

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

frankly, I don't think the parchment has thing one to do with browning.

make the dish - I have not - but having worked through making the dish as a thought experiment.....

it's fingerling potatoes?  no?  or does one slice/mandoline a big-axx potato then cut out the rounds?

so youse take the fish chunk and put the carefully fish scaled potato slices on top.
then you flip it over into the pan to cook potatoes down.

really?  what magic does one use to keep the potato scales in place while flipping the adorned fish chunk into a pan?

methinks the entire purpose of the parchment is to maintain the physical integrity of the prepared (raw) "schufft" while flipping it into the pan and removing it later. 

a top-of-fish parchment?    interesting - nadda clue with the exception that the temps required to produce such a pretty bunch of potato scales could work to dry out the fish....

regardless, we do fish right regular and this one is on my list.

Exactly - the purpose of the parchment is simply to aid in handling to keep the pretty presentation. But, the easiest way to do it would be to layer the potato slices on the parchment, then lay the fish on top of it so you don't have to flip it to get it in the pan.

Worth a look::

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Fish-Filets-with-Potato-Scales

Edited to add:

Doesn't use parchment but getting the scales to adhere seems to be covered.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Rotuts and Anna, you're right, the parchment wouldn't prevent browning. I don't know what I was thinking, I also use parchment for cookies and other baked goods and the bottoms brown just fine.

Per rotuts' comment, buttering the parchment that covers the potatoes may be the key. I think some fat is necessary.

I will give this a try soon.

I didnt read this entire thread because i am surprised with the responces. Have none of you ever made cookies on parchment paper? With enough heat the bottom will get nice and brown. So why would any of you think any othetr food would be any different?

• Like 2

I've seen this technique a few times, mostly on British cooking programmes.  I think the idea is to use paper when you're sautéing delicate things which could easily break apart or tear, but I also saw John Torode (UK Masterchef) slowly poach a boneless chicken thigh, chill it and sauté it on parchment to crisp up the skin.  It might be a good way of rendering out the fat...

Not as easy as it looks.

I used chicken breast as a substitute for fish (chicken of the sea?) for experimentation.

Sliced yukon golds nearly as thin as potato chips, stacked them, and punched out discs with an apple corer.

Salted the filet of chicken

layered the scales on the oiled paper

placed the chicken on it and sauteed on the parchment.

Every time the chicken overcooked before the potatoes browned. High heat, low heat...whatever.

027.jpg

Perhaps the potatoes in the video were soaked in bicarb to enhance the Maillard rxn prior to cooking

They also didn't adhere well to the meat. They wouldn't stand up to cutting with a knife.

Perhaps they should spend some time in the fridge to get stickier.

• Like 3

The way I did it was to slice the potatoes into water then chill until they were crispy, drain and dry, put them in melted butter and arrange them on the fish.  Then I put the parchment paper on top of them, covered with plastic and refrigerated them for a couple hours.  I put the parchment on the fish because I didn't want the potatoes to possibly stick to the plastic.  I cooked them over low to medium heat until I could see the fish was cooked more than half way through.  Then i flipped them and finished cooking them until they were white all the way through ( I used swordfish) They were not overcooked to my taste.  They were cooked all the way through but not dry and flaky.  The potatoes were not as well browned as they were in the original picture.  I don't know anything about bicarb.  

I noticed you put them on the parchment instead of on the chicken.  Perhaps, using that technique, the potatoes could have been cooked a while before the meat is added.  I did not oil the paper but rather put the potatoes in butter.  There was enough butter in the potatoes to cook them. 

• Like 1