• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aquafaba as a stand-in/replacement for egg whites: Chickpea water turns into meringue when whipped

cdh

eG aquafaba topic

Mentioned twice in the Drinks! 2017 forum: one  two

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A sense of humor is a measurement of the extent to which you realize that you are trapped in a world almost entirely devoid of reason. Laughter is how you release the anxiety you feel at this knowledge." -Dave Barry, humorist

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set. -Lin Yutang, writer and translator

Excellent! Thanks very much for those links. Lots of good info and I think an answer to my question about freezing aquafaba. So when I drain the liquid from the garbanzos just now finishing up on the stove I will freeze most of the liquid except for the amount I'll refrigerate for my pisco sour experiment.

N. in P.

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

• 7 years later...

I was reading about some techniques for cooking chickpeas in the Instant Pot here:

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-chickpeas/

One line grabbed my attention: *Pro Tip: If you wish, you can use the chickpea liquid (aka aquafaba) as a flavorless, odorless egg replacer in other recipes.

Has anyone done this and can you share the method for doing so?  I did a search online and the info I received gave me some info, but it was minimal.  I'd like to get some tips or experiential information from those who have done this.

... Shel