• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BarneyDorfman

BarneyDorfman

My wife likes crust, so she always gets the 1st piece, and I always get the 2nd.  She wouldn't let me take a picture of hers.  Said it was "weird" to have strangers looking at her food.  This piece is mine.  Note the heavy layer of butter.  I hope that's okay.  I'm certain that neither preppers nor beduins are allowed to have that much butter on their bread, and I'm certain my butter-slathering technique is probably all wrong.  Perhaps someone could post a copy of a book that will instruct me on the right way to put butter on my bread?

In seriousness, this loaf is the one that has only 1 t. of yeast, with a bloom time of overnight.  The bread is less "poofy" than the last loaf, and has less flavor too, so when comparing the last two loaves:

1st loaf:

2 t. yeast, 2 T. flour, 1 1/2 c. warm water, bloom time 2 hours

Result: much better texture, too much "poof", stuck to lid of machine, much better flavor

2nd loaf:

1 t. yeast, 3 T. flour, 1 1/2 c. warm water, bloom time overnight (@ 10 hours)

Result: "grainier" texture, size/height was correct, less flavor than last loaf.

20160514_133105.jpg

20160514_133143.jpg

20160514_133258.jpg

20160514_133306.jpg

20160514_133739.jpg

BarneyDorfman

BarneyDorfman

My wife likes crust, so she always gets the 1st piece, and I always get the 2nd.  She wouldn't let me take a picture of hers.  Said it was "weird" to have strangers looking at her food.  This piece is mine.  Note the heavy layer of butter.  I hope that's okay.  I'm certain that neither preppers nor beduins are allowed to have that much butter on their bread, and I'm certain my butter-slathering technique is probably all wrong.  Perhaps someone could post a copy of a book that will instruct me on the right way to put butter on my bread?

In seriousness, this loaf is the one that has only 1 t. of yeast, with a bloom time of overnight.  The bread is less "poofy" than the last loaf, and has less flavor too, so when comparing the last two loaves:

1st loaf:

2 t. yeast, 2 T. flour, 1 1/2 c. warm water, bloom time 2 hours

Result: much better texture, too much "poof", stuck to lid of machine, much better flavor

2nd loaf:

1 t. yeast, 3 T. flour, 1 1/2 c. warm water, bloom time overnight (@ 10 hours)

Result: "grainier" texture, size/height was correct, less flavor than last loaf.