• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

36 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not to take this too far sideways with Beefsteak discussions, but here's an eG thread with great descriptions of the Beacon Beefsteak in NY by Fat Guy and a link to the text of the1939 New Yorker piece, "All You Can Hold for Five Bucks," that Fat Guy mentions.  Both good reading.

Nice eG thread. Thanks for unearthing that! Great reading.  Yes, the original started in New York. The Mitchell article is also linked to directly in the New Yorker archives in the Wikipedia article on the Beefsteak which I embedded in the words "BEEFSTEAK Dinner" in my post on this TC California episode. :-) ;-)

Oh, I think it is all relevant to TC California, this episode, because it fills in the background for why it seemed odd that the cheftestants largely came up with what they did with a few exceptions. Some say that the EC wasn't properly explained to them, but I don't think that excuse holds water.  Carl Dooley and Karen Akonowicz gave a more plausible explanation for why at least some of the cheftestants fell short - that they were limited by what they could get at Whole Food, a retail grocery, and at Whole Paycheck prices; rather than giving them access to a full-scale butcher &etc.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/blog/2016/01/29/karen-akunowicz-carl-dooley-top-chef-recap-8/ 

Nevertheless, IMO many of them still could not let go of their fancy-fine-dining tendencies or, as you described it, their catering kitchen box thinking.

huiray

huiray

13 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not to take this too far sideways with Beefsteak discussions, but here's an eG thread with great descriptions of the Beacon Beefsteak in NY by Fat Guy and a link to the text of the1939 New Yorker piece, "All You Can Hold for Five Bucks," that Fat Guy mentions.  Both good reading.

Nice eG thread. Thanks for unearthing that! Great reading.  Yes, the original started in New York. The Mitchell article is also linked to directly in the New Yorker archives in the Wikipedia article on the Beefsteak which I embedded in the words "BEEFSTEAK Dinner" in my post on this TC California episode. :-) ;-)

Oh, I think it is all relevant to TC California, this episode, because it fills in the background for why it seemed odd that the cheftestants largely came up with what they did with a few exceptions. Some say that the EC wasn't properly explained to them, but I don't think that excuse holds water.  Carl Dooley and Karen Akonowicz gave a more plausible explanation for why at least some of the cheftestants fell short - that they were limited by what they could get at Whole Food, a retail grocery, and at Wole Paycheck prices; rather than giving them access to a full-scale butcher &etc.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/blog/2016/01/29/karen-akunowicz-carl-dooley-top-chef-recap-8/ 

Nevertheless, IMO many of them still could not let go of their fancy-fine-dining tendencies or, as you described it, their catering kitchen box thinking.