• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

growing coriander/cilantro

Alex Black

i've had a few plants now that i've bought from supermarkets and they've always died within a week or so. it only happens with coriander and flat leaf parsley. they're always indoors and get may enough sun light. anyone got any ideas? should i just start from seed?

cheers

My vast experience with growing cilantro (there were years of it!) was that growing cilantro from starts (in a seed pot from nursery or whatever) was 99% doomed to failure. They would either die or bolt then die.

I always started from seed. If you or anyone else wants to know my way of starting from cilantro, please ask. It may seem a bit involved (not really). But you CAN start from seed in the garden without going through my machinations: That's how nature does it but be prepared for a high fail rate if the weather etc doesn't comply.

If I started seeds in the garden I always kept that area damp and covered with a shade cloth until they put out the first suggestion of a leaf. I wound up finding that my 'other way' was easier in the long run.

I LOVE cilantro!

Parsley and cilantro both require a fair bit of light (can you get a broad spectrum/grow bulb to put in a lamp over or near your plants?) and water as well - more than say rosemary would. Rosemary and thyme, for instance, are hardier, woody plants native to the windswept regions of the Mediterranean. I have had those survive nasty winter conditions outside - and unless you never water them, inside they generally are pretty long lived as well.

But, different plants/herbs require different care. Parsley and cilantro are more delicate, particularly cilantro. Cilantro grows fast but dies fast too - you may want to get some seeds and keep growing successive crops. Also it is good to repot cilantro in a larger/wider container - it needs more room than parsley. Harvest cilantro leaves at the ground level. Water lightly probably nearly every day and harvest at least once a week to keep the plants bushy.

Edited by Deryn (log)

I've found cilantro very easy to grow outdoors from seed. It likes cool weather and will bolt at the first heatwave. I let the spring planting grow to full flower. Not only can you harvest the coriander seeds but pollinators love the flowers, and that's a good thing for them as well as many of my vegetable plants than aren't self-pollinating.

You can plant again in late summer and it will flourish well into fall, Amazingly, my cilantro is doing fine, along with kale the only thing still growing in my little community garden plot. We've had some freezing night temps too, but I harvested a bunch just a few days ago.

Forget trying to plant them from a pot as they have a really fragile root system that does not tolerate being disturbed. They are easy to grow from seed but bolt really easily in response to changes in temperature. I have brown thumbs but growing them from seed is pretty easy. Plant plenty of seeds and often to maintain a crop to harvest. Once they have bolted there is a ton of seed to replant or use as spice.

Have you considered a small greenhouse outside?

Simon

It's basically a weed. It should be easy to grow. In my experience--similar to yours--I found location was everything. For instance, parsley kept dying on me ... then I found the right spot and it went nuts. Same with mint. Same with coriander. All three I've grown from 'seedlings'. You want a lot of light but not too much: morning light in preference to the harsh afternoon heat. The leaves can be fragile. A lot of water. Rich soil. Once it gets going you'll need to keep an eye on it. It can die quickly and will go to seed before you know it. It also seems a bit more fragile than parsley which, once established, withstands even the most brutal of haircuts. I recommend planting it in several locations in the garden..

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between