• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

The recent Cake Memories topic got me to thinking of the "fruit tortes" that my mom was locally famous for.  Not a cake exactly, but a cake base, filled with some sort of custard or pudding and topped with fruit.   I've mentioned them previously over in the Family Recipes topic .  The recent thread got to me wondering if I could come up with a savory variation so I decided to make Nopalito's take on Mexican street corn, Esquite Tostado con Crema y Queso Fresco (Toasted Corn with Crema, Ground Chile and Queso Fresco) and put it on a corn bread/corn muffin base. 

Here's the "cake" made from a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix.  I was dismayed that the box in my pantry said, "best by 9/25/12" :o so I invested 47 cents in a new box!

IMG_7920.thumb.jpg.ab6fa8cc648ac3637ba1b5937545022c.jpg

Fresh corn cut from the cob gets toasted to get some color and mixed with lime juice and salt and is to be served topped with crema, queso fresco, ground chile and pico de gallo.  I spread the crema over the corn bread then topped it with the corn/lime juice mix and queso fresco, spooned the pico de gallo in the middle and sprinkled the ground chile over everything.

IMG_7925.thumb.jpg.a9874a811793cfb0607a1851d3431e10.jpg

IMG_7927.thumb.jpg.ac7e5efc3aab24c3dbc1f998bcbf54a8.jpg

Here, with more pico de gallo on the side:

IMG_7928.thumb.jpg.c19cc4f377c04797295701ac77baffc8.jpg

To get something easier to serve, it would probably be best to mix some of the crema and toppings into corn to sort of glom it all together.  

Still, kinda fun :D

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

The recent Cake Memories topic got me to thinking of the "fruit tortes" that my mom was locally famous for.  Not a cake exactly, but a cake base, filled with some sort of custard or pudding and topped with fruit.   I've mentioned them previously over in the Family Recipes topic .  The recent thread got to me wondering if I could come up with a savory variation so I decided to make Nopalito's take on Mexican street corn, Esquite Tostado con Crema y Queso Fresco (Toasted Corn with Crema, Ground Chile and Queso Fresco) and put it on a corn bread/corn muffin base. 

Here's the "cake" made from a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix.  I was dismayed that the box in my pantry said, "best by 9/25/12" :o so I invested 47 cents in a new box!

IMG_7920.thumb.jpg.ab6fa8cc648ac3637ba1b5937545022c.jpg

Fresh corn cut from the cob gets toasted to get some color and mixed with lime juice and salt and is to be served topped with crema, queso fresco, ground chile and pico de gallo.  I spread the crema over the corn bread then topped it with the corn/lime mix and queso fresco, spooned the pico de gallo in the middle and sprinkled the ground chile over everything.

IMG_7925.thumb.jpg.a9874a811793cfb0607a1851d3431e10.jpg

IMG_7927.thumb.jpg.ac7e5efc3aab24c3dbc1f998bcbf54a8.jpg

IMG_7928.thumb.jpg.c19cc4f377c04797295701ac77baffc8.jpg

To get something easier to serve, it would probably be best to mix some of the crema and toppings into corn to sort of glom it all together.  

Still, kinda fun :D