• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gap

gap

14 hours ago, excv_ said:

What a wonderful collection of chocolates- They all look and sound totally divine! If I may ask, do you just cut the chocolate pieces out with a cookie cutter and pipe the filling for those gingerbread ones? I love that style and have been meaning to try it for ages, but never found proper instructions on how and was afraid to experiment. Do they hold their shape well that way? Asking that because I'm slightly concerned that depending on the consistency of the filling they might easily come apart or collapse/leak. I'm thinking a firm-ish ganache should work... right? Sorry for so many questions:/ any help at all would be tremendously appreciated!

I use a chablon mat to make the chocolate pieces. Something like this: http://www.robertsconfectionery.com.au/search.php?search_query=chablon. You usei t over a piece of acetate or a transfer sheet, spread the chocolate and then remove the chablon before the chocolate sets. The chocolate then sets on the sheet so when you pipe, it doesn't move about.

Then just pipe with whatever tip you want. You need a ganache that will hold its shape when you pipe - I use a butter ganache and  that works well, but really it's just about having the right consistency.

gap

gap

14 hours ago, excv_ said:

What a wonderful collection of chocolates- They all look and sound totally divine! If I may ask, do you just cut the chocolate pieces out with a cookie cutter and pipe the filling for those gingerbread ones? I love that style and have been meaning to try it for ages, but never found proper instructions on how and was afraid to experiment. Do they hold their shape well that way? Asking that because I'm slightly concerned that depending on the consistency of the filling they might easily come apart or collapse/leak. I'm thinking a firm-ish ganache should work... right? Sorry for so many questions:/ any help at all would be tremendously appreciated!

I use a chablon mat on make the chocolate pieces. Something like this: http://www.robertsconfectionery.com.au/search.php?search_query=chablon. You usei t over a piece of acetate or a transfer sheet, spread the chocolate and then remove the chablon before the chocolate sets. The chocolate then sets on the sheet so when you pipe, it doesn't move about.

Then just pipe with whatever tip you want. You need a ganache that will hold its shape when you pipe - I use a butter ganache and  that works well, but really it's just about having the right consistency.