• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Martha's latest to debut Monday

Steve Klc

Howard Street - right by the El stop

Edit: If you want a copy I'll buy one & mail it to you

Thanks guajolote, but I'll get my hands on it. eventually. Maybe I'm just missing it at my dominick's.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

I haven't seen the magazine yet but would be interested in taking a look at it given the opportunity.

I think Martha Stewart usually has an edge when it comes to these sort of things.

Edited by seawakim (log)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

Steve, I wonder if you have any info on distribution of Martha's new digest-sized magazine?  We put out similar publications and haven't found it yet in Chicago. I wonder if it was tested first on the east coast?

I've been looking for it in DC and haven't found it yet, so apparently it wasn't tested here.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I've seen it here in Ottawa, Canada. :blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

i saw the mag in the check-out line and then got a chance to browse through my neighbor's free copy--it came to anyone who subscribes to her other mags, i think.

yeah, blahblahblah, the same old anti-martha rant. as if martha lent any more than her name to this project.

i thought the little mag was quite fabulous, myself. as klc said, very nice lay-out, lots of good photography and chock-ful of recipes, not too ad-driven. i was particularly pleased with the little piece on "whipping up a quick vinaigrette"--keep in mind this is on the stand in the check-out line at kroger's--if it inspires people to do things a little differently, it's a good thing.

shaking together a simple vinaigrette is one of those tasks that can make a timid cook feel like a million bucks--and vinaigrette is one of those looks- easy-but-ain't tasks--and the mag totally demystifies the process.

as if martha lent any more than her name to this project.

I've heard that she did a LOT more than jsut lend her name to the project. Apparantly, she was extremely hands on, to the point of driving people insane.

By the way, I don't mean this as a criticism. I admire her in many ways. Professionally, that is.

• 1 month later...

I bought "Everyday Food" yesterday. :angry: What a waste of three bucks. It was jam-packed with ads, and the smaller format makes it difficult to tell the recipes from the ads.

The recipes were uninspired. Boring chopped salad with canned tuna. Split Pea Soup with no fat and very little seasoning. Roast Chicken. Yawn.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I found it by accident while standing in a checkout line at my grocery store so naturally, had to get it. I am quite impressed and thought most of the recipes were very good and even... simple enough for me. This is only the second issue, I somehow missed the first one completely but I am considering getting a subscription too. :cool: