• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

50 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Will you be keeping the layout the same, as far as where the appliances are?  

Yes! I actually quite like the existing layout. It will be new kitchen materials but the same basic footprint. Did I say the cabinets are white IKEA ones, actually the same ones we put into our last place. And the same pulls and handles, because I never got tired of them.  🙂

I can't reach the upper cabinets even in the existing kitchen without a step-stool, so I'm ok with high 3rd shelves. My (tall) husband uses them to hide things from me, hahahaaha. 

The new MW has 500 CFM venting, compared to 300 or 400 in other OTR MWs and some hood vents, so I hope it handles things ok. It should be ok for my style of cooking. 

Could Mijo's flooring choice have been at all influenced by that shaft of sunlight?

Maybe that time, but he still chose it to sit on several other times. 😺

I can still talk to the quartz people and see about extending it up to the MW, but if it meant another slab purchase, that would only make sense if we wanted it up to the cabinets all the way around. And that would be a signifcant jump in cost and would depend on availablility as stock was getting low. The owner is the main fabricator and likes doing custom work so they seem very happy to work with me on this and they made it clear they are happy to modify if changes fit the existing slabs. When they come to do the final measure after the cabinets are in, we can still make changes. So I can shape that section behind the range however I want, within reason. I liked the idea of a curve there, because the kitchen itself is going to be very white and grey and I thought a bit of a curve would give some kind of design element that was perhaps lacking in other ways. But I could take it up higher, I think, looking at the fabrication layout. Looks like another 2 to 4", maybe. 

Would you start the curve outside the width of the range or stay within the 30" range width? Or would you do a curve at all? 

If I had that fridge and was re-doing the kitchen, I'd try my best to get a new one into the budget.  That one looks so annoying!  You should be able to sell or donate that one so it gets used and not tossed. 

It really is annoying. If we donated it, we would check with either the food bank or the wildlife rescue people. We have donated appliances to both before and they really appreciate them. But in this case, we also have friends who keep eyeing the fridge when they come over. They recently bought a 45 year old home with some gorgeous views, but the kitchen really needs work. They are buying our old cabinets from us, because they are a big step up from the ones they currrently have and will mostly work in their space. They might want the fridge as well. 

Edited to add: We would also offer our cabinets to Habitat for Humanity's Restore shop, if we didn't have friends who really wanted them. They will often offer to remove them for you, if they have the necessary labour available to do it. We offered old cabinets in our last house to them. 

FauxPas

FauxPas

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Will you be keeping the layout the same, as far as where the appliances are?  

Yes! I actually quite like the existing layout. It will be new kitchen materials but the same basic footprint. Did I say the cabinets are white IKEA ones, actually the same ones we put into our last place. And the same pulls and handles, because I never got tired of them.  🙂

I can't reach the upper cabinets even in the existing kitchen without a step-stool, so I'm ok with high 3rd shelves. My (tall) husband uses them to hide things from me, hahahaaha. 

The new MW has 500 CFM venting, compared to 300 or 400 in other OTR MWs and some hood vents, so I hope it handles things ok. It should be ok for my style of cooking. 

27 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Could Mijo's flooring choice have been at all influenced by that shaft of sunlight?

Maybe that time, but he still chose it to sit on several other times. 😺

I can still talk to the quartz people and see about extending it up to the MW, but if it meant another slab purchase, that would only make sense if we wanted it up to the cabinets all the way around. And that would be a signifcant jump in cost and would depend on availablility as stock was getting low. The owner is the main fabricator and likes doing custom work so they seem very happy to work with me on this and they made it clear they are happy to modify if changes fit the existing slabs. When they come to do the final measure after the cabinets are in, we can still make changes. So I can shape that section behind the range however I want, within reason. I liked the idea of a curve there, because the kitchen itself is going to be very white and grey and I thought a bit of a curve would give some kind of design element that was perhaps lacking in other ways. But I could take it up higher, I think, looking at the fabrication layout. Looks like another 2 to 4", maybe. 

Would you start the curve outside the width of the range or stay within the 30" range width? Or would you do a curve at all? 

42 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

If I had that fridge and was re-doing the kitchen, I'd try my best to get a new one into the budget.  That one looks so annoying!  You should be able to sell or donate that one so it gets used and not tossed. 

It really is annoying. If we donated it, we would check with either the food bank or the wildlife rescue people. We have donated appliances to both before and they really appreciate them. But in this case, we also have friends who keep eyeing the fridge when they come over. They recently bought a 45 year old home with some gorgeous views, but the kitchen really needs work. They are buying our old cabinets from us, because they are a big step up from the ones they currrently have and will mostly work in their space. They might want the fridge as well.