• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nut Flour Gnocchi

Paul Bacino

I recently went out looking for Chestnut Flour to make gnocchi..ie  Bob's Red Mill or similar.  WF  nor TJ had any in town, so I opted for Almond Flour.

Off the top of my head--I usually cook by feel

I cooked one yellow potato in the oven till done, riced and cooled.  I added on egg and cut in some almond flour and ap flour roughly 1:2 ratio.  The gnocchi preparation was fine and they cooked well and were light.  The bad thing they were a bit grainy.

I sourced the flour from WF bulk bin.

Not fine enough milling?

And where is a good source of Chestnut Flour

?

TIA   Paul

Its good to have Morels

I've never tried almond flour gnocchi, but I get that they might be a bit grainy, since it's not really a milled starch, like chestnut flour. I use this recipe for chestnut flour gnocchi, and found it also works well with chestnut flour only.

I buy chestnut flour at local Italian shops, so if there's a well-stocked one near you, they should have it (or might be willing to order it).

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Looks great!  Sometimes searching by brand name can help to find suppliers, especially online.  The chestnut flour I have is branded "Sala Cereali" - try googling that and see if anything comes up in your area.