• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Extending shelf life on homemade BBQ sauce

Bryce Pilaf

We are having a co-ed baby shower for our first future foodie in a few weeks with a 'Backyard Baby-Q' theme.  We'd like to make and bottle our own BBQ sauce to give as party favors.  I don't have a set recipe but am thinking along the lines of honey bourbon as the major flavor component.   I know homemade sauces generally don't keep for very long and was hoping to get some advice here about extending the shelf life so that these don't go bad in a week or two as well as any safe bottling techniques because the last thing I want is to get anyone sick.  We found a bottling website that sells your typical BBQ sauce bottle but in some of my initial web searches a site recommended using canning jars.  If you have any advice on preservatives, whether conventional or more modernist, as well as any safety techniques I'd be very appreciative if you could share as I haven't found anything cut and dry so far.  Thanks so much in advance!

If the pH is low enough it can be safely hot packed (which is the easiest route to go in terms of "shelf-stable" store-ability.)

Method here.....http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29501-making-hot-sauce-101/

It could also be canned (the pH must be sufficiently low in order to safely "boiling water" can the sauce.)....

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_03/bbqsauce.html

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!