• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist technique for including alcohol in cupcakes

Anonymous Modernist 5626

A friend of mine recently made a recipe for cupcakes she found on the internet. The idea was that they were "Irish car bomb cupcakes". (classy, i know) The frosting had bailey's and a bit of whiskey and the cake had a ganache that wasGuinnessstout flavored. The cupcakes were very good but the bailey's was not verynoticeableand the ganache just tasted….boozy. Overall it was a bit boring, like the liquors weren't providing any flavor beyond just the punch of the actual alcohol.

I think that this is a perfect idea for a modernist cuisine type solution. Does anybody have any ideas for a way to incorporate these types of alcohol into a baked good without losing the distinct flavor and texture that makes them unique? I would think it would involve some sort of gelling or stabilization to preserve the structure and composition of the alcohol as it is baked or constructed, but as a new face to modernist cuisine, I will defer to the experts!

Thanks!