• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet and Sour Pork

Shel_B

About ten days ago Toots requested that she'd like me to make her some sweet and sour pork. She's always giving me challenges <LOL>

I've never made S&S pork before, and have just started looking for recipes and ideas.  I have, however, gone to a few restaurants and ordered the dish, and came away wondering how such crap could be served in what were otherwise reasonably decent restaurants.

Some dishes were excessively sweet, loaded with chunks of pineapple; others were greasy and very one dimensional; and one tasted of raw flour (I'm assuming that had something to do with coating and frying the pieces of pork).  The version I had for lunch today was grey in color, the pieces of pork were very fatty, and there was little sweet or sour taste to it - but it was redolent of raw flour.

So, does anyone have a recipe for good, flavorful S&S pork, not greasy, not cloyingly sweet, and with a nice, round sour taste to it (Toots does love sour and tangy tastes)?  Thanks!

... Shel

I've made this one (from Fuchsia Dunlop). It is what is referred to as sweet and sour pork in China - light years away from the gloopy orange muck sold in so many "Chinese" restaurants in the west.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I've made this one (from Fuchsia Dunlop). It is what is referred to as sweet and sour pork in China - light years away from the gloopy orange muck sold in so many "Chinese" restaurants in the west.

OK, that's a good start.  Thanks!

... Shel

I use a recipe found here http://www.melskitchencafe.com/sweet-and-sour-chicken-updated/ but just substitute the chicken with pork neck. It is a relatively simple recipe that you can cut the amount of sugar to your taste. I also serve it on a simple stir fry rather than rice. John.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

I use a recipe found here http://www.melskitchencafe.com/sweet-and-sour-chicken-updated/ but just substitute the chicken with pork neck. It is a relatively simple recipe that you can cut the amount of sugar to your taste. I also serve it on a simple stir fry rather than rice. John.

I like that the chicken (pork) is baked, and that the recipe is simple.  It might be a good starting point for my experiments.  Thanks!

... Shel