• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Craig E

Craig E

This seems like as good a place as any to post a new invention I came up with for reddit's Are You Afraid of the Dark cocktail challenge. The idea is to get as black a result as you can imagine (without resorting to coloring tricks like charcoal). 

I surveyed the dark stuff in my bar and came up with:

Onyx

• 1 1/2 oz Cruzan blackstrap rum
  • 1 oz Amer Boudreau
  • 1/2 oz balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 oz syrup from brandied cherries

Stir; strain; one big rock.

As I mentioned on reddit, this is kind of a bizarro-world daiquiri. I quite like the prominent balsamic flavor: it occurs to me that balsamic's darker acidity bears an analogous relationship to lime juice that blackstrap rum does to a white rum. 

I take it as a proud measure of my growing mixology skills that the proportions I tried out first seemed spot-on—a first!

onyx 1.png

The complaints upthread about Cruzan Blackstrap's unsubtle tendency to take over drinks are true to my experience too, but here I thought the other ingredients hold their own against it.

Craig E

Craig E

This seems like as good a place as any to post a new invention I came up with for reddit's Are You Afraid of the Dark cocktail challenge. The idea is to get as black a result as you can imagine (without resorting to coloring tricks like charcoal). 

I surveyed the dark stuff in my bar and came up with:

Onyx

• 1 1/2 oz Cruzan blackstrap rum
  • 1 oz Amer Boudreau
  • 1/2 oz balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 oz syrup from brandied cherries

Stir; strain; one big rock.

As I mentioned on reddit, this is kind of a bizarro-world daiquiri. I quite like the prominent balsamic flavor: it occurs to me that balsamic's darker acidity bears an analogous relationship to lime juice that blackstrap rum does to a white rum. 

I take it as a proud measure of my growing mixology skills that the proportions I tried out first seemed spot-on—a first!

onyx 1.png