• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

How did this topic get so buried?  In my dotage I seldom try new stuff.  To the best of my remembrance never had I assayed an Argentine Malbec.  But on a friends suggestion I picked up a bottle of Gascon.*  I didn't pour it down the drain, despite it being vile.  The taste was of wood and bitter chocolate.  Nice if enjoying bitter chocolate.  Not so nice in wine.  At least not in my glass.

Tonight, a bottle of Pheasant's Tears 2008 Saperavi.  I obtained a case and I'm so glad I did.

*She is still my friend.  What she recommended was Argentine Malbec, not necessarily Gascon.

Edit:  but I shall speak with her.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

How did this topic get so buried?  In my dotage I seldom try new stuff.  To the best of my remembrance never had I assayed an Argentine Malbec.  But on a friends suggestion I picked up a bottle of Gascon.*  I didn't pour it down the drain, despite it being vile.  The taste was of wood and bitter chocolate.  Nice if enjoying bitter chocolate.  Not so nice in wine.  At least not in my glass.

Tonight, a bottle of Pheasant's Tears 2008 Saperavi.  I obtained a case and I'm so glad I did.

*She is still my friend.  What she recommended was Argentine Malbec, not necessarily Gascon.