• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is this a levelling foot?

paulraphael

My super awesome 8 foot stainless steel table, originally from some restaurant in Providence, more recently from my darkroom, is moving to the kitchen.

I just fitted it with a maple top and noticed that it's nowhere near level. Like, it's an inch higher on one side than the other. The feet look like some kind of levelling foot (see pic). I could not get them to budge with my vice-grips. It's not surprising that they could be frozen with some gunk, but I don't want to get a giant pipe wrench if the things don't actually adjust.

Does anyone recognize this kind of foot? Is it indeed a levelling foot, and if so, does it just screw in or out? And is there a more elegant solution to unsticking one than a pipe wrench?

Finally, if I can't adjust the feet, any thoughts on another solution? I'm thinking something plastic with a divet in the middle to stick under the short legs, maybe something I can pick up at the hardware store.

20140221-0001.jpg

Notes from the underbelly

DH, Ed, who can fix anything in the world, advises as follows:

- turn table upside down

- clean out gunk as best you can using a solvent and rags...depends upon nature of the gunk what you use. First try would would probably be lacquer thinner...

- if you can see a join or crack between leg and foot, use something sharp to get as much of the gunk out of there

- wipe dry and get WD40 into crack

- try to unscrew (counterclockwise) by hand and if that fails, tape the foot with duct tape (gorilla is best) and 4 or 5 times around and use large vise grips to unscrew it.

- if all of that fails, take off the tape, and use a butane torch on the leg and with something insulated, try again to unscrew the foot. The butane torch will cause expansion to the leg but not as much to the foot which is in it.

All of this assumes that there is some evidence of thread on those feet which extend further from the leg. (he quit talking here and went to shove the walk...)

If you can't get the foot off, then you're on your own from here. Sorry. My answer would be to do the thing about the plastic with the divot and something rubbery to help keep it from slipping at all. Good luck.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Measure the small part and compare with the other three. If they are of different lengths, than the small part is adjustable.

Adjustable legs of this type sometimes are adjusted from the top.

"---wipe dry and get WD40 into crack---"

A solution called "Liquid Wrench" will work better.

You will need a plumber's wrench. If you don't have one, drill a hole perpendicular to the pipe and use a screw driver to turn.

dcarch

• Like 1

Thanks Dcarch. Yes, they're different lengths. That's why I was assuming they adjusted, but was wondering if maybe they didn't turn. How do you mean they're sometimes adjusted from the top?

Measure the small part and compare with the other three. If they are of different lengths, than the small part is adjustable.

Adjustable legs of this type sometimes are adjusted from the top.

"---wipe dry and get WD40 into crack---"

A solution called "Liquid Wrench" will work better.

You will need a plumber's wrench. If you don't have one, drill a hole perpendicular to the pipe and use a screw driver to turn.

dcarch

Ed presumed from what you said that it was a leveling foot, but OTOH, if all the feet protrude the same distance from the legs, then they are likely not leveling feet (as noted by dcarch) and the problem may be some warpage in the table. Or the possibility that the floor is not level?

Hey! I'm just the messenger and I solve all my problems with Gorilla tape. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

If they are indeed adjustable, and all else fails to get one or more of them turning, a judicious use of heat is an option of last resort. propane soldering torch would be my weapon of choice, You should be able to polish/buff out surface discolouration to the stainless afterwards.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

The torch is actually my first choice! I have one, and it's a hundred times easier than unloading everything from the table and flipping it upside down.

No luck after first try with torch, though. My vice-grip pliers just aren't strong enough. No matter how tight I get them they slip.

Heating may not do anything.

The center screw for height adjustment is very far from the outside tube.

You may be able to turn using two long plumber's wrenches, or two long chain wrenches.

You need two wrenches because you don't want to strip the top screw threads which attach the legs to the top.

dcarch

I suggest a pair of vice grips. More grip than a pipe wrench.

Actually, a plumber's wrench or a chain wrench is interesting, they are kind of self-adjusting and non-slip, and the more power you apply the tighter they grip. They are specifically designed for cylindrical shaped objects. I don't think a plumber will use a vice grip tool for piping work.

dcarch

http://www.emiindustries.com/blog/bid/59971/Stainless-Steel-Tables-The-Feet-Make-All-The-Difference

Comparing your pic to this website, it looks like its called a bullet foot:

- Bullet Feet: These have a contact area to the floor that is only about the size of a quarter. They also have a hex configuration at the bottom so that even if there is a heavy load on the table, they can be adjusted with an open end wrench. Bullet feet come in plastic, base or 'pot metal,' and stainless steel.

Have you tried adjusting/shortening the other legs to match the one that is stuck? Just a thought. Re-read and it sounds like you've already tried.

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali