• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Some Thoughts About Napkins

weinoo

We use cloth napkins 99% of the time and cotton dish towels for messy meals (bbq, etc.). I believe that it is much more environmentally friendly than paper. I just throw them in with my regular laundry - I don't bother pre-treating for stains.

I have to confess, though, that I am an owner of a linen rental company. What I use at home on a regular basis, are napkins that can no longer be rented due to stains, holes, etc. Same thing for the cotton towels - those you would see in a restaurant kitchen. I used the "unrentable" ones, and when they are done, they end up in my rag bag. We are not fussy about the condition of the napkin - and it's ok if it gets ruined further by our kids.

When we have company, I pull nice stock from my warehouse. Renting napkins is a pretty inexpensive way of dressing up the party and not having to worry about the laundry.

If you live in a city with a party/linen rental company - I would suggest giving them a call and asking them about their ruined napkins and towels. We actually give ours away to friends and family - other places may charge a small fee. If you live in Boston or Seattle, pm me and I can hook you up!

• Like 4

"Unleash the sheep!" mamster