• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon miso sauce

bonkboo

I was thinking of doing sous vide or other warm carrots with a lemon miso sauce for thanksgiving riffing on the nytimes lemony carrot soup recipe of recent weeks. Looking for ideas to translate that. What else might I need to make a nice sauce? I used miso last night as a marinade for fish with some other ingredients last night and the white miso did not seem overly user friendly straight out of the fridge. Should I warm it? Thanks for. Any ideas.

Lemon and miso are a good choice together (white wine and miso's good too). Of course miso is salty at a level like things like anchovies, so it can't be the body of the sauce. If you're just dressing carrots, simplest might be melted butter ? For me the miso gives enough depth that you don't need to be caramelising onions or anything (though there's nothing to stop you, and onions improve anything, browned or not).

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I should have added that by coincidence, I used some (light Akita) miso to gussy up a soup of lentils and tomato (with my usual chicken stock) just a couple of weeks ago. As a supplementary ingredient it added a really satisfying, hard-to-identify depth.. A puree of lentils is another option for (part of) your sauce.

I've posted before that I find lemon & black pepper a great enhancement for a standard Japanese-style miso soup.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.