• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scott123

scott123

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

OK, I'll bite.  How will aluminum (that despised element, unsuitable as a food contact surface) help me achieve a faster bake?

It's all about conductivity. Steel plate is able to transfer heat at a faster rate than stone, and aluminum is able to transfer heat at a faster rate than steel.  So, while the bottom of the pizza might cook in about 11 minutes on a stone @ 500, and 7 minutes on steel plate @ 500, aluminum plate can, at that same 500 degree temp, achieve a 4 minute bake.

Aluminum is considerably less dense than steel, but it has a higher specific heat.  A little less than 1/2" of steel plate (.47) matches the heat capacity of 3/4" aluminum. This is why I generally recommend 3/4" aluminum.  It's low density is a big plus.  16" x 16" x .5" of steel weighs 30 pounds, where 16" x 16" x .75" of aluminum weighs 10 pounds. That's going to be a lot easier to get in and out of the oven.

Lastly, I should point out that I was recommending aluminum to Katie in the context of her 500F oven, as well as European ovens that can reach 250C/482F. It was not in the context of 450F, so aluminum is not the answer to your Cuisinart Steam Oven.  It also wouldn't be buying you anything in your main oven either, since, although it might very well take you down to 90 seconds @ 585 on the base of the pizza, it's almost guaranteed that you won't have the necessary broiler strength to bake the top of the pizza at the same rate.

Aluminum plate, right now, is extremely application specific- 4-5 minute NY style pizza @ 482-500F.  You're not in this group. You might be able to hit 6 minutes with the CSO, maybe, but that's completely uncharted territory.

scott123

scott123

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

OK, I'll bite.  How will aluminum (that despised element, unsuitable as a food contact surface) help me achieve a faster bake?

It's all about conductivity. Steel plate is able to transfer heat at a faster rate than stone, and aluminum is able to transfer heat at a faster rate than steel.  So, while the bottom of the pizza might cook in about 11 minutes on a stone @ 500, and 7 minutes on steel plate @ 500, aluminum plate can, at that same 500 degree temp, achieve a 4 minute bake.

Aluminum is considerably less dense than steel, but it has a higher specific heat.  A little less than 1/2" of steel plate (.47) matches the heat capacity of 3/4" aluminum. This is why I generally recommend 3/4" aluminum.  It's low density is a big plus.  16" x 16" x .5" of steel weighs 30 pounds, where 16" x 16" x .75" of aluminum weighs 10 pounds. That's going to be a lot easier to get in and out of the oven.

Lastly, I should point out that I was recommending aluminum to Katie in the context of her 500F oven, as well as European ovens that can reach 250C/482F. It was not in the context of 450F, so aluminum is not the answer to your Cuisinart Steam Oven.  It also wouldn't be buying you anything in your main oven either, since, although might very well take you down to 90 seconds @ 585 on the base of the pizza, it's almost guaranteed that you won't have the necessary broiler strength to bake the top of the pizza at the same rate.

Aluminum plate, right now, is extremely application specific- 4-5 minute NY style pizza @ 482-500F.  You're not in this group. You might be able to hit 6 minutes with the CSO, maybe, but that's completely uncharted territory.

scott123

scott123

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Aluminum is considerably less dense than steel, but it has a higher specific heat.  A little less than 1/2" of steel plate (.47) matches the heat capacity of 3/4" aluminum. This is why I generally recommend 3/4" aluminum.  It's density is a big plus.  16 x 16 x .5 of steel weighs 30 pounds, where 16 x 16 x .75 of aluminum weighs 10 pounds. That's going to be a lot easier to get in and out of the oven.

Lastly, I should point out that I was recommending aluminum to Katie in the context of her 500F oven, as well as European ovens that can reach 250C/482F. It was not in the context of 450F, so aluminum is not the answer to your Cuisinart Steam Oven.  It also wouldn't be buying you anything in your main oven either, since, although might very well take you down to 90 seconds @ 585 on the base of the pizza, it's almost guaranteed that you won't have the necessary broiler strength to bake the top of the pizza at the same rate.