• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carbon monoxide, stovetop smoking, and recirculating range hoods

Hassouni

"---, I'd get a couple HVAC companies to give me a design build bid. ----"

One of the problem is in an apartment building, you are not allowed to have permanent installations to the building.

Both condos and apartments, you are not allowed to modify windows.

------------------------------------

Check ebay and Craigslist, you may find a used Electronic air filter(purifier, precipitator) for a reasonable price.

Electrostatic air cleaner is what bars use to filter out cigar smoke and tobacco smell.

dcarch

I live in a Manhattan apartment with a windowless kitchen. When it gets really smoky, I open windows, or the door to the terrace (and disable the smoke detector temporarily).

The smells are gone by the next day, or else I've gotten used to them. It's not ideal, but seems a small price to pay for being able to make tasty stir-fries.

Maybe my apartment has really good internal ventilation, or else I've just gotten used to it - but it doesn't feel like a big deal. I'm hoping that maybe you might have the same experience.