• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's Eve in NJ?

Rosie

We dined at Nicholas in Middletown last night.  This is truly a superb restaurant in every sense and our evening was flawless.  We sat at the early seating (6:30) and the place was full.  That didn't seem to make a difference as the seating is spacious and the service was top notch.  It was $75 pp for a 5 course meal, very reasonable for NY Eve.  I think the later seating was considerably more expensive, but you got free hats, whooppee :)).  We started out with a small portion of tuna tartare (no choice), not one of my favorite dishes, but this was an exception.  For the appetizer I had the foie gras & duck consomme and Anabelle had lobster bisque.  I had the braised suckling pig for the entree -- you ain't tasted pig until you've tried this dish.  2 desserts followed, a tiny prailine ice cream cone followed by a choice off their regular menu.  The chocolate souffle was the best I ever had.

Our server was extremely knowledgeable, professional and communicative.  We mentioned that it was our first time there and we followed her recommendations throughout. They had a great selection of wines by the half bottle, always a concern to me, as well as an extensive wine list.  We followed her wine recommendation and couldn't have been more pleased.  Now I gotta find this wine --- anyone familiar with Nuits-St-George Clos des Forets Domaine de L'Arlot and where to get it (ny or nj)?

Hey,

Just wanted you to know that I cooked your PIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your server was a female it was Donna who is actually the chef de cuisines wife. Shes Great isn't she!!!! As far as your wine question goes. We sell most of our wines online at a very resonable price. Alot of the wines we serve aren't available in stores or anything. Im preety sure we get all the nuits directly from the producer but i could be wrong.

On a side note What did your wife have? Did you like the foie that way? Some people love it some dont like it very much. i think its quite interesting. One last thing did you think the parsnip purre on your pig was to nutmeggy? I thought i may have put a little to much nutmeg in it.

Dave

Dave, you are a master! I thought the pig was perfect and wouldn't change a thing. I do recall the nutmeg but it was definitely not overbearing. I've never eaten pig prepared like that. The sides of mashed potatoes and spinach were also excellent, though please don't tell me how much butter and cream were used. Anabelle had the lamb - spicy moroccan with cous cous? - it was cooked perfectly and also excellent. The foie gras was also prepared uniquely -- I never had it poached nor with duck consomme poured over it. I thought it was fantastic. Yes, it was Donna who waited on us, and she suggested eating the foie gras with a spoon --- I love being told how to eat my food! Seriously!

I couldn't find the wine on your site -- Donna mentioned it was new to Nicholas. But she wrote down all the info including the distributor. I had to do a little detective work to find the distributor (I couldn't make out Donna's writing), but I talked to them yesterday and ordered a case. I might add it was a barrelful of loot cheaper than I paid at Nicholas, not that I'm criticizing :)). [i also got a good price since I ordered it in the name of our restaurant.]

The only criticism I have -- and it's minor -- was that a portable wait station was set up next to our table which infringed on our privacy at times. We ate in the small room (very intimate!) and I guess there was no alternative.

Was that lamb the braised lamb shank and seared lamb loin served with spiced carrot purre and tarbai(sp) beans?

What restaurant may i ask did you do the ordering from? You know its funny alot of people think that the purre you had has potato in it. Its 100% parsnips with a dash of maple syrup, Fresh ground nutmeg and butter. Very simple but very good.

Wow, that was parsnips!! Best parsnip I ever had :). I thought the lamb was a moroccan lamb with cous cous, but I could be wrong. I only took one bite... frankly, it paled in comparison to the pig and I didn't have much interest in it. I'm at MEET.

Thanks for the report on Nicholas. I am returning there soon for my birthday and can't wait!  By any chance did you meet our eGullet connection?

So are you going to go with the tasting this time around? When can i expect you so i can polish myself up and make an appearence. :O)

Off my station right now which is the meat side im liking the duck. I think its preety nice and i like the glaze thats on it. Very simple dish but tastey. I like the chestnut agnoloti as well for an app. There are a couple of new apps and different preperations on some things. I cant remember what was on the menu when you came in last time. But like i said some things have changed but i think i like the duck the most.

Edited by chopjwu12 (log)