• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato foam prior to canning

Paul Bacino

So..I'm stewing down some tomatoes prior to canning. I notice you get a fair amount of foaming. Question?

I know I take off the foam in protein stocks, but is their any unwanted stuff in tomato foam?

Paul

Its good to have Morels

So..I'm stewing down some tomatoes prior to canning. I notice you get a fair amount of foaming. Question?

I know I take off the foam in protein stocks, but is their any unwanted stuff in tomato foam?

Paul

Two choices: cook until the foam subsides or skim. Depends on how 'stewed' you like your tomatoes.

Paul, just skim is with a large spoon. There's nothing harmful in the foam, it will only make your final product cloudy. If cloudy stewed tomatoes don't bother you, then as Celeste says, just cook it until it quits foaming.