• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ratio of cocoa butter for thinning Callebaut chocolate?

Gary Traffanstedt

Locally I can only find two drop Callebaut chocolate and it's just too think for my molds. I have three drop dark chcolate and that works fine, but both the milk chocolate and the white chocolate are two drop. Is there any sort of standard ratio that I can use to know how much cocoa butter I should add to get it thinned out a bit? I know I can add it to the tempering machine during the melt phase but I have absolutely no idea how much to add and would like a general starting point. Obviously once it's added I can check and see if it's thin enough but I don't want to add half an ounce and find out I should have started with four ounces or something.

Also, is it unusual for places to only carry the two drop chocolate? Even online I've had trouble sourcing a three drop Callebaut for milk and white.

And lastly, anyone have a good source for Callebaut chocolate? I'm in Florida, just north of Orlando and am currently getting my chocolate from Restaurant Depot in Orlando. I first orderd online from Qzina but then their prices jumped way up so I went this route, but they for milk and white they only carry the thick stuff.

Thanks guys!!!

I purchase all my 11lb Callebaut blocks from a vendor in Massachusetts but I believe they sell nationwide. They don't have a large selection but their prices can't be beat. I'm not sure how many drops on my white and milk but I've been using theirs exclusively for at leat 10 years and the viscosity of both is perfect for my tempering machine and for molding and hand enrobing. If anything, the white is a little too thin. I usually only have to add cocoa butter to the semi-sweet and I just toss about a half to one inch chunk to about a pound and a half of chocolate.

Hope this helps!

Ruth

www.gourmail.com

(this is the description - not much! I'm not home so can't look to see how many drops listed on my blocks but you could probably call them to ask)

Callebaut White Chocolate (Belgium) WNV

Callebaut Milk Chocolate (Belgium) 13%

Thank you! I contacted Gourmail and they were supposed to call me back but haven't yet. I'll try contacting them today.

I found a number of places that would ship here, but either the shipping was low and the prices were outrageous or the prices were great but the shipping killed it. I don't know if I checked Albert Ulster but Swill Chalet sounds familiar. I'll check with both again.

I melted a bit in the microwave this morning with a lump of cacao butter in there and it came out really thin. Added some more chocolate to it and stirred for a bit and it was just right. So for first time trying to thin chocolate it worked well. I'll try through the three sources you guys provided to just find the three drop though. Should come out quite a bit cheaper over having to buy chocolate AND the cacao butter.

Thanks again!