• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

On 8/26/2021 at 3:53 PM, Annie_H said:

I'm a NewYorker, 25 years. if someone in 2018 said I will be ordering any produce on-line, I would say, did say, "you have two heads and I would rather eat glass".

Fast forward. Fall 2019. I tried Misfits and a local grass fed meat supplier, WaldenFoods. Just looking for local and an easy straight from warehouse, non-grocery traditional shopping. Grocery shopping was becoming difficult. Especially winter months. NYC has had FreshDirect for 15 years. Lock down covid, no-go. Every delivery was overwhelmed. 

Pre-covid we considered canceling both Misfits and Walden, but kept them. Good thing as both have been stellar in delivery. Especially Baldor that is wholesale to restaurants...they announced early lock-down, NYTimes, they would delivery to homes. They have been stellar in over-night delivery and great pricing. Though good pasta may be a case, lol. Ginger 5 pounds. But then did divide wholesale quantities eventually. 

Our Fairway, (only NYorkers know them), went bankrupt Fall 2019 and closed our local ten minutes away...third generation maybe got greedy. 20 years too late to go cross country....way behind WholeFoods. Sourcing pick-up, delivery,...thankful so many had this established pre-covid. 

They have Fairways in NJ. They’re all closed or are closing. They’ve never really been exclusive to NYC. 

Also afaik the Union Square farmers market never really shut down. But I get avoiding it for safety reasons— I used to work around the corner and it was always a mad house. 

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

On 8/26/2021 at 3:53 PM, Annie_H said:

I'm a NewYorker, 25 years. if someone in 2018 said I will be ordering any produce on-line, I would say, did say, "you have two heads and I would rather eat glass".

Fast forward. Fall 2019. I tried Misfits and a local grass fed meat supplier, WaldenFoods. Just looking for local and an easy straight from warehouse, non-grocery traditional shopping. Grocery shopping was becoming difficult. Especially winter months. NYC has had FreshDirect for 15 years. Lock down covid, no-go. Every delivery was overwhelmed. 

Pre-covid we considered canceling both Misfits and Walden, but kept them. Good thing as both have been stellar in delivery. Especially Baldor that is wholesale to restaurants...they announced early lock-down, NYTimes, they would delivery to homes. They have been stellar in over-night delivery and great pricing. Though good pasta may be a case, lol. Ginger 5 pounds. But then did divide wholesale quantities eventually. 

Our Fairway, (only NYorkers know them), went bankrupt Fall 2019 and closed our local ten minutes away...third generation maybe got greedy. 20 years too late to go cross country....way behind WholeFoods. Sourcing pick-up, delivery,...thankful so many had this established pre-covid. 

They have Fairways in NJ. They’re all closed or are closing. They’ve never really been exclusive to NYC.