• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Brown Rice

Shel_B

Is it possible to make a decent fried rice dish using brown rice? What would be done differently than when making the dish with white rice? Is any type of brown rice better suited to the dish - like long grain vs short or medium grain? Has anyone made fried brown rice? How'd it turn out? Thanks!

... Shel

I do it all the time and far prefer it to white rice -- the texture and nutty flavor is terrific. I've used long grain, short grain, and mixed rices. They've all worked -- though I think my preference may be the Lundberg short grain brown rice that is my go-to rice. I will add a little oil to the water when cooking to encourage separation. And of course the key, with brown and white rices, is that it the rice is cold before using (breaking it up with wet hands helps too).

chili-oil.jpg

We also make fried rice from brown rice all the time. No adjustments one wouldn't make in any case: watch the total oil budget. Ours features homemade hot chili oil, adapted from a Barbara Tropp recipe (an old label above) which really complements the brown rice.

Yes, chill the rice, the whole "twice cooked starch" bit is at play here. Our favorite brown rice is Massa Organics; we're on our third 20 lb bag.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

We also make fried rice from brown rice all the time. No adjustments one wouldn't make in any case: watch the total oil budget. Ours features homemade hot chili oil, adapted from a Barbara Tropp recipe (an old label above) which really complements the brown rice.

Yes, chill the rice, the whole "twice cooked starch" bit is at play here. Our favorite brown rice is Massa Organics; we're on our third 20 lb bag.

That recipe looks familiar ... I may have it in my files.

I like the Massa Organics brown rice - bought a small bag a few weeks ago. Not sure if I'd like the short grain for fried rice, but will certainly give it a try. Thanks!

... Shel

I've done it many times with brown rice. If you check the Chinese cooking thread I've posted quite a number of pictures of them,

Brown basmati rice actually works quite well for this application.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've done it many times with brown rice. If you check the Chinese cooking thread I've posted quite a number of pictures of them,

What Chinese cooking thread is that?

... Shel

What Chinese cooking thread is that?

This topic might give you some ideas.