• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What wine goes with prime rib?

CWahl

Hello! I'm new to this Forum and we also moved to a new town last week and have been invited to a New Years Eve party. The Host/Hostess are serving Prime Rib and we were asked to bring a bottle of wine and I do not know anything about wine and really need your help in the right selection as we do not want to make a faux pas right off the bat.

Thank you for your help!

:biggrin:

Do your host drink more European or Californian wine?

If you are looking in the $20 and under price range, a Cote du Rhone could be very nice (Janasse Cote du Rhone Village Vielle Vigne 2000 is young but delicious).

If around $30 there are a couple of Syrahs (JC Cellars, Kunin, or my current favorite, Tensley), but they are harder to find.

If spending $50 or more, a classy Cabernet based wine, Bordeaux, California, or could even be Tuscan. THis is probably the classic choice, but it's hard to find value these days.

But really, faux pas isn't anything to worry about, if it's good wine the host will be happy. If you mention your price range, we could have some more suggestions.

Edited by Beachfan (log)

beachfan

Cote du Rhone. Burgundy. Beaujelais. Pinot Noir. Nebbiolo. Sangiovese. Spanish Rioja. You want a big, strong macho red with a shitload of tannins for astringency to handle cutting the fat in a huge chunka meat.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

What might be more valuable is to get a recommendation on a good wine store near where you live. If you care to try, post your city (or part of city if it's big) and you might get a reccomendation on a place you can trust the merchant to steer you right.

beachfan

Thank you for your help!

I suppose we should stay within the $20-$30 price range and I live in North Dakota-Minot to be exact.

We don't have any wine stores, we have a lot of bars, of course, and the larger grocery stores have liquor departments...I may find a decent wine there.

In that case, you might want to look for wines from certain producers/sellers: try Louis Jadot or Georges DuBoeuf. They sell many of the kinds of wines others have mentioned, are very reputable, and sell a fairly consistent product. Just avoid anything labelled "Nouveau Beaujolais" especially if it lists a year earlier than 2002; for that stuff, older is definitely NOT better.

And welcome! You are about to embark on a journey that will only lead to a good time (both drinking wine AND participating on eGullet)! :biggrin:

The Host/Hostess are serving Prime Rib and we were asked to bring a bottle of wine

A few random thoughts:

1. I really love prime rib and wish more people and more restaurants served it.

2. Prime rib is an extremely wine-friendly food. There's hardly a faux pas you can make within the bounds of non-joke wines.

3. When somebody tells you you're expected to bring something to a party, the first faux pas (as in social blunder) has already been committed. And bringing a bad bottle of wine isn't a faux pas -- it's just bringing a bad bottle. So really, you come out ahead no matter what!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Given the probable lack of broad selection, you might want to list a few choices if you are really interested. If there is a red wine by Stonestreet (a Kendall Jackson subsidiary) you might be ok.

My thought- take your best shot and enjoy it!

beachfan

I recently had a reasonably priced California cabernet  that would go well with prime rib: Beaulieu Vineyards Rutherford '98.  It was about $19 and delicious.

Beaulieu Vineyards is one of the oldest vineyards in California. It was founded by George de Latour. For years, Beaulieu's cabernet and later its Private Reserve Cabernet set the standard in California. In 1969, Latour's heirs sold to Heublein which dramatically increased production. Sic transit gloria.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Sic transit gloria.

The glory days may be long gone, but for $19 you could do a lot worse. I found it much more restrained and Bordeaux-like than the Gallo of Sonoma single vineyard cabs that run $10 more.

Not that I'm a fan of California cabernet, by any means. I find I hardly ever reach for new world wines these days.

edited for lost causes -- lots of them

Edited by bushey (log)

Sic transit gloria.

The glory days may be long gone, but for $19 you could do a lost worse. I found it much more restrained and Bordeaux-like than the Gallo of Sonoma single vineyard cabs that run $10 more.

Not that I'm a fan of California cabernet, by any means. I find I hardly ever reach for new world wines these days.

Can't speak to today's Gallo, although in the old days I got some strange kick out of melting candles in their cluster of grapes shaped bottles. Ah, youth!

With beef of course all reds work fine, but with prime rib I like to limit my selection to the milder reds w/ less tannins and slight less body.

Perfectly cooked (rare to MR) Prime rib with a light jus, unlike a filet or sirloin has a very silky texture and extremely delicate mild flavor. A flavor that a bold wine could easily overpower.

A nice french pinot noir is always my first choice. Also a spanish rioja is a a great compliment.

Syrah, cabs are too much in my opinion.

However if you would like to stick w/ something a little bolder like the infamous cab, I would go w/ a meritage. Estancia makes a great one for about $27. The slight addition of merlot and cab frac in the blend seem to smooth out some of the body of the cab sauv, without sacrificing flavor.

.....although in the old days I got some strange kick out of melting candles in their cluster of grapes shaped bottles.  Ah, youth!

LOL! In our house it was Mateus bottles. I thought my brother was the coolest guy on the planet for getting the drips so symmetrical.

Prime Rib as we serve it in the U.S. is really derivitive of British roast beef. And the Brits drink claret (Bordeaux) Old claret for that matter which I happen to think is the perfect match for prime rib. Even at L'Ami Louis in Paris where the prime rib is really a gigantic cote de boeuf, they drink Bordeauc.

.....although in the old days I got some strange kick out of melting candles in their cluster of grapes shaped bottles.  Ah, youth!

LOL! In our house it was Mateus bottles. I thought my brother was the coolest guy on the planet for getting the drips so symmetrical.

Your brother was the coolest guy on the planet! A little anal, but still cool. Me, I changed out candles to get a multicolored effect.

Prime Rib as we serve it in the U.S. is really derivitive of British roast beef. And the Brits drink claret (Bordeaux) Old claret for that matter which I happen to think is the perfect match for prime rib. Even at L'Ami Louis in Paris where the prime rib is really a gigantic cote de boeuf, they drink Bordeauc.

Perhaps we need to place our order with El Vino. Note the specific claret recommendation.

http://www.elvino.co.uk/wines/newshome.asp

Edited by hollywood (log)

I recently had a reasonably priced California cabernet  that would go well with prime rib: Beaulieu Vineyards Rutherford '98.  It was about $19 and delicious.

Beaulieu Vineyards is one of the oldest vineyards in California. It was founded by George de Latour. For years, Beaulieu's cabernet and later its Private Reserve Cabernet set the standard in California. In 1969, Latour's heirs sold to Heublein which dramatically increased production. Sic transit gloria.

BV has problems with cellar taint from TCA since the 1998 vintage (and maybe in 1997). That's why BV is cheap now in Costco. I would avoid it unless you know that flavor profile doesn't bother you.

Here's the link

BV problems

Edited by Beachfan (log)

beachfan

You wouldn't believe it but the Host/Hostess has decided, that since children will be at the party, it will be non-alcoholic. You'd think that they would have figured that out before hand. :hmmm:

I wonder if this is the first time they have organized a social gathering? Oh well, at least I learned quite a bit.

Thanks!

You wouldn't believe it but the Host/Hostess has decided, that since children will be at the party, it will be non-alcoholic. You'd think that they would have figured that out before hand.

I was going to suggest grape Kool Ade. I guess I should have. :biggrin:

You wouldn't believe it but the Host/Hostess has decided, that since children will be at the party, it will be non-alcoholic. You'd think that they would have figured that out before hand. :hmmm:

Whaaa? Now a faux pas really has been committed. Why can't the adults still drink?